Sunday, October 5, 2008

{burlap...}

...and heat n' bond don't mix.
I saw this lovely pillow at a boutique in Orem and loved it!

Being the crafty gal I am, I thought, "Hey, I'm going to make my own little version of this pillow for 1/2 the cost!" So, after buying a yard of burlap and pillaging through my mom's quilt scraps, I came home excited to make this pillow. 4 hours later, I am finished. Yes, it really took me 4 hours. I found a funky font, traced the fabric, cut it out, and bonded it to the heat n' bond. Then I started to iron the letters onto the burlap, but the adhesive from the bond wouldn't stick to the burlap. So, I spent the next 3 hours sewing a zig zag stitch, outlining the letters.

This is the end result! I thought about making this pillow and selling them, but for 4 hours of labor, I'm not sure it's worth it!

13 comments:

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

Shan, that is SO cute. Yeah, I've had some experience with heat and bond not working, and having to sew... it was on Sydney's costume last year. PAIN IN THE REAR! But, it looks great in the end! Fun idea! Maybe one of these days, I'll get off my tush and make some of your fun crafts!

The Marquardt Family said...

sooooooooooo cute!! ok you are amazing. YOu are just the girl I want to talk to then. Ok so lately I have been pretty hmmm bored. I moved to Philly and I dont have a job and I thought I would be totally pumped about the whole thing not working and just be a house wife. ok well you can only clean your house and have dinner ready right at five so many times soo I need some help with craft ideas to do. I dont have a sewing machine. I am asking santa for xmas. so any other ideas you have that I can do to stay busy and be productive. Ok I sound patheitc but I think it is just because it is confrence sunday and I have been on the coach all day!! love ya girl

k8mc said...

I love the pillow! Totally worth the effort!

Lisa K said...

Geez, quit being so creative. You're making the rest of us look REALLY bad.

=)

Shellie said...

no kidding. and you could totally make these. it won't take 4 hrs the next time. probably 1.

caitlin said...

Super cute Shan! I love that you are willing to do the hardwork so it's a little bit more personal.

sarah marie p said...

That is so, so cute! I love that when the adhesive bond wouldn't stick, you didn't give up but kept crafting for four hours! You are hardcore! But it was totally worth it because the pillow is adorable and now you can keep it forever!

Shane and Jamie Smith said...

wow that is really cute, I wish I was talented!!!

Meg and Alex said...

That is way cute! Ya it sucks when a project takes forever! But in the end it is worth it. Good Job!

cathycan said...

the colors are PERFECT!

tai and joe said...

I really really like those pillows! I really think that you should sell them! I would buy one in a heart beat. They are so stinking cute.

Anonymous said...

your pillow is SOOOOO much cuter than the original one!!!!

BECKY said...

It's so dang cute. And maybe I missed a post on how the 5k went... I'll look again. If not, I need an update!