Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Happy Birthday to you!


Surprise!! This is your mother speaking, I have hijacked your blog to wish you a Happy Birthday and to take you on a little trip through your birthday history.
So, here we go!
My first b-day memory of you is Sept. 3, 1982 at abt. 7:00am. I was going natural (yeah, I'm a solja!) and you were posterior and I remember crying in a panic, "God help me!!" Shortly after those anguished words,you came out SCREAMING. You were one of those really loud, angry sounding babies! You looked like a little professional boxer who had just lost his fight. Posterior is rough on the nose and face in general.
When you were about 7 years old, I took you and some girlfriends down to the McCurdy Doll Museum in Provo for you party. You had your hair in that 80's on-the-side-of-the-head ponytail. We didn't have a scrunchy in just the right shade of hip 80's fuschia but we did have a sock in that color. Perfect! Your ever clever mother thought it would work perfectly! Wrapping it artistically around your ponytail, with the end hiding under the coiled sock, it looked great! As I left you in the car to run in and pick up the cake, my bold invention, the "sockscrunchy", was undone and the girls squeeled savagely, "you have a sock in your hair!!" Oh, the humiliation, the horror, the fury and resentment towards mom!! Have you ever forgiven me for the great sock debacle?

At age 12, you were allowed to get your ears pierced. Let's just say it wasn't as much fun as you expected. As you got into the chair, you had an expression of joyful expectation. As you saw the piercing tool, an expression of slightly horrified concern. As the mechanical needle pierced through the flesh of your ear, an expression of the awareness of all the disappointments of life, a loss of innocence and belief in all things childish and wonderful!! Well, maybe it wasn't THAT bad but it was pure dramatic theater on the face of a twelve year old!

I have to say, that the surprise party for your 21st was pretty cool. Christmas lights strung funkily through the big trees, karaoke,and tiki torches. Tim thinking I had a crush on him, haha.
There have been bikes, skates, kiddie cars and real cars. Every kind of doll and clothes from every decade you have been alive. Birthstone jewelry, lots of rings, earrings, and necklaces. But tonight, I just give you my words.
I am eternally thankful to have such a wonderful daughter who is my friend, my confidant, my partner in crime and creativity. Happy Birthday to my beautiful Shannon. Mom

20 comments:

Sarah Marie said...

Ohmygosh! Your mom made me cry by the second sentence! No joke! This is the sweetest thing ever! Awww... so, so sweet! I love it, love it! You are your mom are such good friends and such good people! It's so wonderful. But the most important part of this comment is that I want to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Shan!!! I hope you have an amazing day filled with laughter, smiles, family, friends, love and fun! And don't forget the birthday cake! I'm so glad we've become blog buddies!

Design Gal said...

Mom,
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I honestly had no idea why you wanted my blogger login info! You sneeky gal!

This post is the best present I've ever recieved! Thank you for making this so special. And thank you for truly knowing who I am. All the gifts I've recived through out the years are gifts you knew I'd love because you really get me. From gold fish to funky gifts wrapped in pretty paper, you've always made my birthday special.

I love you so much Mom!
~thank you~
Love always,
Your LuLu girl

P.S. Lol- I do forgive you for the sock scrunchie. Little did you know, that great idea of yours has sparked many ideas in my head on how to turn trash into treasure and it all started with a sock transformed into a scrunchie.

Love you!

cathycan said...

I thought for sure you would see through my,"just in case you ever want me to blog for you again" and "I'm guest blogging for Red Shoes" Barry was a big help with it and dont you just LOVE the song?

lifeinredshoes said...

Shannon, Happy Birthday! Like your Mom, I feel ever so blessed to have my daughters be more than just my children. You are just hitting your stride my dear, let's all hang on for the ride!

simplycaitlin said...

Ah, that was so sweet to read. Your mom is great. What a great present!

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear fabulous Shannon, Happy Birthday.. okay I am done :)

Alex and Tara said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got tears in their eyes! This is so cute and adorable. I hope you have a great day today!!

Happy, Happy Birthday Shannon dear..Happy days will come to you all year.

shell said...

Happy Birthday Shan!!!!

I got on Facebook yesterday and saw that it was your birthday and tried to say Happy Birthday but my computer went all crazy.

SO happy b-lated birthday to such a great girl!

Brandon and Michelle Day said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Your mom was so excited about hijacking your blog! She told me about it at work and it is soooo cute!! The memory lane stories are great!!

The Badgers said...

Best of wishes on your special day! Love ya Shan.

Jess said...

So sweet! I love that! Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great one! You deserve it!

Katie said...

That was seriously so sweet!

Happy Birthday, Shannon!

(The word verification just made me type "owkid" and I thought, "Ow, Kid! Happy Bday!"

Krystle said...

Happy Birthday Shannon (even though I am a day late!)

John, Allisha, & Ezra said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! You're Mom is so cute! What a fun surprise!
Love,
lish

Barry said...

Happy Birthday, Sis! It's so good to have a sister! I love you and hope you have a great birthday and birthday-week!

Samantha said...

Happy Birthday Shannon!! Your mom is so cute!!! I hope you had a fantastic day! I sent you a message on facebook so you must read it. Love ya!

Sara said...

Happy Birthday Shannon!

Aubrey said...

Your mom is too cool! Happy Birthday Shan!

April said...

Sweet---it's really the best word to describe it. Love the post, Momma Cann!

I never knew that your love of all things trashy (hehehe) came from a sock-scrunchie...very cool.

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

Happy Birthday Shannon! I just loved what your mom had to say! It sparks memories of my own 80s and 90s birthday parties... :) She is such a great writer! Hope you had a great one!

Scott and Lindsey said...

Happy B-Day! I hope you have a great dinner on Friday.
I have loved getting to know you a little better these last few months!