Monday, September 8, 2008

{from trash to treasure!}

So I've been on a little bit of a D.I. kick lately and boy has it paid off! (D.I. is a second hand store in Utah, in case you didn't know) I stopped by on my birthday to see what treasures I could find, and what to my wondering eyes should appear? This ol' ottoman base! I saw another lady eyeing it, so I snatched it up as fast as I could! She gave me a pretty dirty look, but I figured, it wasn't like I ripped it from her hands. She wasn't even touching it! You snooze you lose lady!
Anyway, so I brought it home and spiced it up a bit.

Here's my $4 find before her makeover....I bought a can of glossy black spray paint and went to town. This is the result...
After I painted it black, I used my handy man's drill (which actually has a circular saw attachment) to cut a piece of particle board for my ottoman cushion. After I cut the wood, I wrapped 3" of foam (also cut to size) with dacron batting.

Here's a li'l upholsterer's trick: I recommend using a spray adhesive to stick the dacron to the foam to keep it from slipping. Also, use the spray to adhere the wood to the foam.

After cutting my fabric to size, I went to town stapling it! Here the cushion is after I finished stapling itAnd this is the finished product! P.S. If you have a small chair (i.e. a parsons chair or wing back) or an ottoman you'd like upholstered, send me an email to shans_design@yahoo.com with a picture of the furniture and I'll quote you a price!

15 comments:

Brittney Andy Boston and Scarlett said...

I LOVE it! If I could take it as a carry on on the plane I would steal it, or at least buy it from you!

Alex and Tara said...

I love it! You are so creative and amazing. You did a great job.

Summer said...

That turned out AWESOME!!! I love it!

Lisa K said...

You're so talented!! Way too cute.

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

Shan you kinda make me sick-- you are SO dang talented. :) It is so cute! That inspires me to go and find some old furniture and spruce it up! However, if I did do that, I'd probably be disappointed with the outcome b/c it would be crappy compared to what you've done --your stuff always looks so good!!!

BECKY said...

Rock on! You're so good at that!

And ha ha to your comment thing! I haven't noticed that before!

lifeinredshoes said...

Don't let your Mom see this!

cathycan said...

I LOVE that fabric!Have you just had it hangin' around?
Your story reminds me of the chandelier showdown at Sugarhouse D.I...."Waheeaheeah,wa,wa,
wa", that's the song to "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" for all of you who didn't get my "singing"!
Imagine Shan and 2 guys walking into DI, 6 eyes trained on a funky chandelier. The pace picks up! They eye each other suspiciously as they realize they want the same thing! Practically jogging, they all make a beeline to the chandelier! Shan pulls ahead! Guy #1 comes from behind! Four hands reach for it and Shan comes up the WINNER!!! Yeah!

wishcake said...

I am all kinds of impressed. Like, seriously. My husband and I have this icky old chair that I'm just dying to paint and upholster.

Buuuuut, I don't think it's ever going to happen. I'm easily overwelmed. (And have a serious lack of power tools.)

Anyway, well done you! It looks lovely!

Scott and Lindsey said...

I so wish I had something for you to re-upholster (first time ever typing upholster-not even sure I spelled it right). If I ever find some cool thing that needs a little loving care I will give you a call!

Mr & Mrs Hilton said...

Hey I love that, it is awesome. I might have you to something for me one of these days. Hey thanks for the invite to your party I had fun. I am so sad I missed out on meeting some single men! LOL! Have fun!

Sarah Marie said...

Ok, you are the the coolest!! I love, love, love what you did with that ottoman! You're so freakin talented! I love how funky and fun it is!

Aubrey said...

It looks fantastic. Great job Shannon! Love the fabric.

Wes and Dani said...

People at the DI can get pretty fiesty about their "finds." I know you don't want to mess with my mom in the DI. :) LOL. Way to be aggressive! DI ladies are mean!

Stacey said...

My goodness! LOVE it! My mom and I used to do similar projects before I moved away. I miss it so much. Nothing like a good deal turned into a piece of art! I am now going to enjoy living a small part of my life vicariously through your blog. HAHA!