Friday, August 1, 2008

{The windy city}

This week I was in Chicago for business. We weren't actually in the city, but the train was about a 5 minute walk from our hotel, so Wednesday afternoon my friend Chelsea and I decided to have a little rendezvous after our meetings were over and explore the city! I'd been to Chicago once before about 2 years ago for NeoCon (which is a huge design trade fair) but I didn't get to visit Millennium Park so that's where we headed first! Right when we got off the subway, we were approached by a local man who asked where we wanted to go. I thought he was a pervert at first, but quickly realized that he asked because we both looked confused while studying the trusty map our concierge gave us. After figuring out which direction to head, he pointed to this clock and said it was famous, so we took a picture.
When I saw this sign, I started singing, "Come on babe, why don't we paint the town? And all that jazz!" It was in my head all day long, and now that you read that, it will be in your head too!
Two funny gals + one afternoon in Chicago = Crazy Fun Time!
Millennium Park This is the Crown Fountain and I was so excited to see it! Its an interactive fountain (meaning the faces on it blink, smile, and move) and it was amazing! True, it's a little creepy, but really cool!
"Spitting" water onto the kids below!
Ah...the Cloud Gate...this was seriously so cool! I had to look up the name of it. I always called it the Shiny Bean Thingy, which I personally prefer. I was attempting to show some love to the big Shiny Bean Thingy, however it came off more like I was practicing my "blue steel" look.
Love big, ol' buildings like these!


After walking around a little more and spending some cash at H&M, we took the train to Wicker Park. If you ever have the chance to visit Chicago, you must visit this area! It's adorable! So funky and charming!Seriously, who wouldn't want to live in an area that has this ultra retro man advertising the local attractions? Not me!

Dinner was yummy too- The best part were the sweet potato fries (and they shook my mouth!)I took this waiting for the train to take us back to our hotel. I loved this view. That gigantic building in the distance is the Sears Tower. I love Chicago, and can't wait to go back. Our little day trip was perfect. Now, if I had only seen Oprah...

12 comments:

Claire said...

Ooh! Chicago is one of my all time favourite cities. I miss living close enough to drive in for day trips... stupid living on the west coast! Just kidding... I'm learning to love the west coast, but I'm still a midwestern girl at heart.

Katy said...

my boyfriend is moving right outside chicago for grad school! I can't wait to visit him and eventually move up there when i get done with school! :-) Definitely need to find that little shop you were talking about!

Katie said...

So jealous! Looked like you had a blast!

Ashley said...

awww how fun! these are great photos, so much fun. I am ready for a summer visit to chicago, when we went it was c-o-l-d.

I was bummed about not seeing oprah too. haha

Lisa K said...

I'm jealous! I've always wanted to visit Chicago. It looks like such a fun city.

cathycan said...

we need to go!! and Opera, I mean Oprah, is a must!!! Great pics! (the opera would be cool ,too)

Steph Corwin said...

How fun! I've never been to Chicago, but I've always wanted to go. That picture of you in the shiny bean thing looks like you are standing their with your twin! I didn't realize it was a reflection at first! :)

*jimaie.marie* said...

i totally didn't realize that was YOUR reflection, i couldve sworn you were standing next to your sister or something LOL!!

these pics make me SO jealous! I haven't been to chicago since i was a kid and i want to go back Sooooo badly!! you took some GREAT pics!!

Aubrey said...

WOW! I love all these pictures. What a fantastic trip!!!

Barry said...

Shan, it looks like you had a great time! I wanna see the bean thing now! Thanks for making ice cream tonight! It was sooo good!

I just realized all four sentences ended with exclamation points. I guess I'm excited.

Sarah Marie said...

OK, first of all, I too was very confused by the shiny bean thing picture! Shan has a twin who also came on the trip? Ha. I'm a dork. Oh and your freckles are so cute btw! Your pictures make me want to go back to Chicago! So much to explore! Wicker park sounds like so much fun! You took some amazing photos -- great eye! Love the last one and all the architecture shots! I wish I could have seen the crown fountain - that thing looks so cool! Glad you had a good time!

caitlin said...

Ah, that looks like so much fun. I have really been wanting to visit Chicago. (Oh and thanks for the real name of the bean. I always just called it the bean.)