Tuesday, August 12, 2008

{sojo fair}

So Saturday night, after we got home from camping, Andrew and I took Ty to the Salt Lake County fair in South Jordan. It had been raining on and off all weekend, and I was a little weary of the dark skies looming above us, but we went anyway. I mean really, who could pass up seeing prized livestock and The Clogging Grannies!? Even the smell of funnel cake and the thrill of riding a few rickety carnival rides that could fall over at any minute was just too good to pass by! This was the petting zoo. Now, I don't mind a little petting zoo with pygmy goats, miniature horses, and the occasional bunny, but this one was ridiculous. They had a baby cow that I swear was only a month old, just laying there, looking all sad and longing for it's mom! When I saw the baby kangaroo, I about flipped! Now, I'm not a member of PITA or anything, but seriously, don't baby animals need their mothers!? This WT lady was holding it in a dirty blanket, next to loud, wild kids, charging $10 for a picture with it, and the poor kangaroo looked like it was having an anxiety attack. Poor thing.
Ty thought this guy looked pretty happy though. I just love Pygmy Goats! This li'l guy is full grown, even though he's so itty bitty.
So, after seeing a little livestock (no pun intended), we decided it was time for some rides. The first one we saw was the Gravitron. I know what you're thinking. "Hey, isn't that the one that looks like a spaceship where you stand against the walls inside and it spins like, a billion miles an hour and flattens you against the wall making it nearly impossible to move or breath?!"

Yes, that's the one. Sounds fun doesn't it?

The minute Ty and I saw it, we looked at each other as giddy kids do when they're ready to throw all sense and reason out the window, and begged Andrew to go on it with us. Since Andrew isn't really a "roller coaster, twirly ride" kinda guy, I begged even harder. (I know, I'm such a good wife!) It didn't take much convincing, and he reluctantly agreed.
As we stepped inside the Gravitron, we kept telling Andrew how much he was going to love it. When we got into position with out backs against the padded wall, the door closed and we waited for the fun to begin. Then it started spinning. At first it was fun. We were laughing. We were enjoying ourselves. I looked at Andrew. "See, honey? Not so bad, right?" Then the ride controller took it up a few notches. Kids started screaming. It started getting harder to breathe. Ty started laughing frantically as one does when they know something is terribly wrong, but what's happening is supposed to be fun, and it kind of still is, so you have this nervous, crazy laugh. You know the one. Andrew didn't make a sound. It took all the energy I had to hold the camera out in front of us to capture the moment.
This is Ty laughing frantically. I think he enjoyed himself.
This picture is worth a thousand words. I promise I didn't ask him to pose that way.
I'm pretty sure Andrew hated the ride.
When we the ride stopped, it was pouring so we stayed inside the Gravitron. Ty thought the ride was a blast, as did I. Andrew on the other hand, was about to puke. He didn't say much, but he looked green and mad! Unbeknown to me, he announced how motion sick he gets after riding spinney rides. Seriously, if I would have known that, I wouldn't have begged him to go on the ride! Poor guy! I felt sooo bad!
I think this picture captures our emotions perfectly.


The highlight of the night was the food. Ty waited in line forever for a carmel apple, and when he was finally served one, the lady (who seriously looked like a man...I'm still not sure to be honest) handed him the one that was covered in flies. She shooed them away and gave it to Ty. He reluctantly accepted it and looked at it like this. I asked him why he didn't ask for another one, and he just kind of shrugged and said, "I don't know...I didn't think I could!"
Not to gross you out, but he did eat it. We figured a few flies never hurt anyone, right? We also enjoyed a few scones, since they didn't have funnel cake. (I know, what kind of fair doesn't serve funnel cake?!) Then after walking around some more, we decided it was time to leave.
All in all, I think it was a good time!

10 comments:

shell said...

I too would have eaten that apple.

:)

I love the Gravitron its my favorite ride
#2 the Swings

caitlin said...

Ah yes PITA, the lesser known animal rights group. PETA was a little upset they took a name that sounded so similar. ;) Just kidding girl. I am a teaser (just means I love ya)

Sounds like so much fun, I had no idea they had a Gravitron! I so would have been there.

Oh and you look darling as usual. (In every freakin' picture you take!)

Jess said...

I love fairs!!! Call me next time!

Lisa K said...

No funnel cakes?! Blasphemy!

John, Allisha, & Ezra said...

Shannon~
So funny. My hubby HATES rides as well for the same reason. :( Maybe we'll have to be carnival buddies and leave them home. Hey...could you e-mail me with your e-mail address? lish_20@hotmail.com? I have a question for you!
Lish

Summer said...

That is pretty funny about the ride. I love the picture where you all have your different faces regarding how the ride went. So funny!!

Sarah Marie said...

YAy! I LOVE fairs! Now you really make me want to go to the big fresno fair in October! I can't wait! Dude, that's bunk that apple was covered in flies! I'd prolly eat it too, haha. Oh my goodness, I laughed out loud SO loud at poor Andrew in the Gravitron. Aww... poor guy! I love that you took that pic during the ride! haha. The Pgymy goat is too adorable!!! And yeah, totally not cool abt the baby animals.

cathycan said...

Went to the Mad Greek Restaurant the other day, PITA was there protesting the unethical treatment of flatbreads so couldn't get my gyro! hehehe
I love the fair, any fair. It was a famiqfybyly tradition to go to the big L.A.County fair when I was a kid. They had this incredible Ginger Bread and we went on all the rides.. my favorite was the Scrambler! I feel really nostalgic for it every Sept.

cathycan said...

hahahahahah, must have put the "code" into the word
Family
that's, f a m i l y, folks!
not famiqfybyly
hehe

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

Okay, so I almost peed my pants reading that entry. Andrew was a good sport to go, but the pics (especially the one taken of him on the ride..) say it all! Gavin is the SAME way on rides. I made him go on the Rocket at Lagoon with me once, and every time I think of that moment (a VERY similar moment to your experience with Andy) I start laughing out loud! It was so hilarious. Oh- to take such pleasure out of other's misery.... i really must be a jerk!