Friday, August 22, 2008

{favorite favors}

With wedding season in full swing, I've had a lot of people ask me for favors. Not the kind of favor you're thinking of- they want wedding favors! Thinking of what favor I wanted to give at my wedding was tough, but it was also one of my favorite things to work on, and I was so happy with how they turned out!
I knew I wanted something practical, yet cute, and something that my guests could reuse. So when my mom found these little tins, we knew this was perfect! We got our tins (which measure 1 1/2" in diameter by 3/4" tall) at Roberts Crafts. I think they were about $0.50 for a pack of 3, which was another reason we decided on them- they were a great deal! The only problem was that each store only had about 12-20 packs of them, so my mom and I drove all over the valley to get the amount we needed. We invited about 425 guests to the wedding and estimated that about 350 would come, so that's how many favors we made! I also wanted to put little mints in the tins, so I looked online and found a bulk candy company that sent me a huge 10lb bag of these little mints (about the size of a tick tack) for $18.00, and a family friend printed the vinyl lettering monogram that we put on the lid. It took some time to put them together, but I loved how they turned out! We stacked them in a big, shallow, glass vase and I had a framed sign that said something like, "Shannon & Andrew were 'mint' to be! Thanks for sharing our special day!" Yeah, it was a little cheesy, but lots of wedding things are cheesy! haha!

One problem a lot of brides run into is budgeting for favors. Unless you have a lot of money to spend on them, they can be a little pricey, and they're usually one of the last things the bride thinks of budgeting for. So to remedy that problem, I found a few ideas that can be done at a fairly inexpensive price! (As long as you're willing to put a little elbow grease into it!)These lovely boxes are from Martha Stewart. I think you can get the template for the little green box on her website, and I know she has directions to make the little mum that sits on top. Another great idea are these test tube favors. The ones pictured above are for Halloween, but I still think they'd make a unique favor! You can find clear, plastic tubes here for about $0.28 each and the cork stoppers are only about $0.14 each! (If you buy in bulk, they're even cheaper!) Design a monogram or a thank you on sticky labels and finish it off with a ribbon!

I loved the idea of putting herbs in the bottle (below), because it's not something you see everyday and your guests can use it multiple times!I also love the idea of making little seed packets for your guests. You can find these envelopes at local craft and paper stores, and they are fairly inexpensive! A pound of sunflower seeds is just $6.63 here! Just print a cute label, and voila! You've got a lovely favor your guests will never forget!(photos from Pear and Peony)

7 comments:

Aubrey said...

I love these cute ideas. Especially the box with the mum and the test tube jelly beans. Adorable! I'll have to file these ideas away for the day God decides to send me a man. :)

Sarah Marie said...

Aww... your favors were adorable! What a great idea! I've seen the flower seed idea done before -- that's so cute. I think the wedding I went to had a quote on the packet that said "If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk through my garden forever." -- or something like that. For my favors I bought Sees candy and put one truffle at each place setting -- I tied each box with a striped ribbon of one of the colors of our wedding -- pink, green, blue and orange. The pink and green boxes were one one table and the blue and orange boxes were on another. I loved it!

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

Great ideas! Hey - I could've used those 3 years ago! :) I didn't hand out favors... Those are really some fun ones though! I especially love the seed packet idea!

Jessica Kettle said...

dude. I just checked out your bro's blog and we should totally play matchmaker! Lindsey LOVES hiking and photography, just graduated from USU with an interior design degree, and is literally the absolute most fun HILLARIOUS girl on the planet. She was endowed about a year ago (just cuz) and she lives in Alpine. It really is a little shocking to me that she hasn't been snapped up yet- we thought she'd be the first of all of us. The two of them would make beautiful babies. haha!

Jessica Kettle said...

oh, she has a blog, check out her link from mine- lindsey my love

The Badgers said...

I wished I had done quite a few things different with my wedding including favors. My mom said, "We are feeding them isn't that favor enough!" Oh, my mother. Anyway, very cute ideas.

Scott and Lindsey said...

Your wedding favors were way cute. I had fun photographing them :)