Monday, July 7, 2008

{the uniform}

Okay, so I had to post about this. As you probably read in my last post, the fam and I made the trek up to Logan on Saturday for the classic car show. Everybody and their brother was there, and as we started walking around, looking at various cars, we started noticing a trend. No, it wasn't the cluster of shiny, restored vintage cars...it was the cluster of middle aged men! Now, if you know my dad, you know he loves his Hawaiian shirts. He's more into the subtle Hawaiian look and often pairs it with a khaki short, hat, and tennis shoes. I guess it's a popular trend with men his age. Proof: Look at the pictures below...
My dad is in the front. Notice the man to the left of him? Exact same outfit! Honestly, we were silently cracking up because they were identical! Watch on same hand, hat, khaki shorts, and almost the same shirt! And after taking a closer look at the picture, I noticed the man in the very back of the picture was also in the same attire! Well, right after I took this picture, we lost my dad in the huge crowd. He had gone ahead to look at more cars and was nowhere to be seen. We kept saying, "Oh! There he is! No...wait, that's not him...same outfit, just not him..." After seeing about a dozen men within a 50 foot radius that were all dressed alike, I decided I had to document it! They were everywhere! I was a woman on a mission, running after men who had the uniform on, while trying to take a discrete picture. I'd pretend to be taking a picture of something else, but really, I was documenting the trend!




I think Tommy Bahama was having a sale up in Logan...

21 comments:

John, Allisha, & Ezra said...

You are hilarious! The funny thing is that my Dad has about 10 of the same outfits as well. Great documentation.

Colleen Sherman said...

OMG! This is soooo funny! My dad would so be on of those guys... but on a hot day, he slips into his Tivas instead of the tennis shoes and socks. :-) So darn funny that you took these pictures!

cathycan said...

hahahahahah ha hahahahah....hehe...hahahahaha..ha!that first pic is priceless!!

Scott and Lindsey said...

That is soooo funny and sooo true! My dad and my uncle have been wearing Hawaiian shirts for as long as I can remember...the same ones. I think my dads are as old as me. They look just alike too (My dad and uncle), so as a little girl I got confused. We like to tease my dad, but I guess whenever we actually go to Hawaii, he will fit right in (or in Logan).

Shane and Jamie Smith said...

I just had to tell ya that i love the orange truck.... The Crusin is pretty fun huh, well if your into cars I suppose...looks like you guys had fun!!!

Barry said...

I laughed so hard when I read this, Shan. :) Well done!

Brandon and Michelle Day said...

HA HA HA!! It is not only a Utah thing, but a USA thing, my dad (in Ohio) has the same uniform!! LOL Look at the man in the yellow. He is like " I KNEW I should've worn it!!!"

The Badgers said...

I could totally picture Mikes Dad and Grandpa in the same sexy attire, and they live in California. What is it? Comfortable, casual but not a T-shirt? And it is not just the shirt! It is the shorts too!

Meesh said...

Ha ha ha, that is awesome!! You are quite observant, and I love that you took pictures of all these random guys with crazy shirts on. I'm sure you had to be quite sneaky about it.
Anyway, yeah we should totally meet up and go to the derby! I saw a sign for it on my way to work and I got all excited. I bet you could just buy tickets up here. I'm a demo derby virgin so this would be my first! Let's go!

Jess said...

Now, that is too funny!

April said...

Oh my. It's hard to believe that this wasn't planned. If I ever go to a car show, I'll be on the lookout.

Katie said...

LOL! This is hilarious! Oh, and my dad has several of those "uniforms"! hahahahaha

Alyssa Bateman said...

haha the first pic with all three of them in identical outfits is my favorite! It is so typical of men that age that is way funny! And I am way excited to be an aunt if you couldn't tell, and they are adorable you will love them when you meet them! I do! And my bro in law to be is pretty awesome too!:D

Summer said...

That is hilarious! I never really thought about it, but guys around that age do all dress the same. So Funny!!

Sarah Marie said...

Ohmygosh! This is the funniest thing of.all.time!!! As soon as I saw it, I called John over - "John! You HAVE to see this!" That first picture is the very best! Oh man, I love it! Uniforms! I love that you documented the whole thing. Man, they're like a Hawaiian shirt gang! What did your dad think of this? hee. OOh- just read your comment, that would be totally fun to meet up next year! We should do it! You are so goofy and fun, I know we'd have a great time! :)

Vail blog said...

so much fun! I wish I knew you were here! We could have went over to Angies and enjoyed a kitchen sink...you know that is a requirement for the car show after party right:)

Robyn Reynolds said...

That is so funny that you noticed something like that. My dad totally has that outfit so he would fit right in.

McCall said...

hahahahaha!!! that was a good laugh for my boring wednesday. ;) thanks! um...i'm just going to throw out a dinner day and we'll see if it works. how 'bout tuesday the 15th, 7pm, Trio (i've never been)???

Brienne said...

LOL. A girl of my own heart...I love documenting stuff like this. :) Mine usually consists of mullets.

Talia said...

this is SO TRUE! My dad's casual look is almost always khaki shorts and a hawaiian print shirt. I think it's hilarious that you went around taking pictures of all the men dressed this way. :)

BECKY said...

HA HA HA!!! This was AWESOME!!!!