Thursday, July 10, 2008

{$47 car ride}

This is my cat KiKi. Here she is critiquing my driving skills.

Who needs a cat carrier? Not her!
So yesterday, I took my cat to the vet because I thought she had something wrong with her gums- one side was a darker color that we had never noticed before, and I was thinking they were infected or something. Before we left, I put her in her cat carrier, but she wasn't having it. She sat in there freaking out while we were driving, so I unzipped the side a bit to pet her and calm her down. She saw this as a chance to escape and pushed her way out of the small opening and jumped into the back seat. Now, I haven't had much experience letting animals roam around the car freely, so I was sure she'd freak out, and I'd have to pull over, but she loved the freedom. People were doing double takes, looking at her, then at me, then back and her and I could see them saying, "Look! That's a cat riding in the car!" That's right people! Move over doggies, cats like to go "bye-bye" too!

Anyway, so I get to the vet which is clear across the valley, wait 30 minutes to see the vet, finally talk to the vet for about 2 minutes as he looks at her and tells me she's fine and that her gums are not infected and that it's normal for them to be a different color. Then I put KiKi back in her cat carrier (which she didn't like at all) and start heading for the exit, at which point the receptionist says, "Oh, Ma'am? I need you to pay!" "Uh, okay..." was all I thought..."Pay for what? We were in there for maybe 3 minutes!" Of course I wasn't brave enough to express my dismay, so I coughed it up. So $47 dollars later (yeah, for a freakin' 3 minute exam!) I head out the door to take her home. By the way, if any of you live in Utah and have a great vet that isn't ridiculously expensive (i.e. doesn't charge $47 for an exam), leave me a comment! Even if you're lurking and have never commented, this would be the perfect time to start!!!

11 comments:

Jess said...

Stinkin vet! I'm glad KiKi is ok though! We are trying to find a home for a 9 year old cat named Frank that is perfect. His owner is moving in with someone who is terribly allergic. Want another one? He is a great cat!

Colleen Sherman said...

How adorable is your kitty in the back seat!? Looks just like our dog looking out from in between the seats.

Sorry about the vet experience. Ours is a $30 co-pay... a bit less than yours, but stings none the less when you take you pet in, only to be told "he's fine." Great... thanks for your expertise, dude. Hope you're able to find someplace less expensive.

lifeinredshoes said...

Kiki is very cute. We take Gracie to Animal Crackers on about 7800 South and Redwood. I think they might be less. Love the idea of seeing a cat in a car, try putting her on a leash and taking her to the Farmers market!!!

Summer said...

I love the picture where Kikki is standing right over your shoulder. I can't believe it was $47.00!!! Holy Cow!

Sarah Marie said...

oh goodness, I love your cat! Kiki is so adorable! That's so cute that she rode around in the car with you, all well behaved! Good baby! Yikes, that $47 sucks! I'm sorry! I love that you tried to walk out first! Yeah, I wouldnt have been brave enough to say anything either. Well, at least Kiki is AOK! :)

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

How cute! That sucks about the vet. I swear, they are just out to soak you for whatever they can. When we lived in UT and took our cats into the vet, they wanted to prescribe them all these different things -- and, I love my pets, but these medications were totally not needed. So, we told them we weren't interested. You should've seen the look of dismay on the vet's face. Well, anyways, at least it made for a fun car ride with Kiki!

The Little Hiatt Family said...

I know I still cant believe that..

Mama Cher, Ok, fine, it's Sharon said...

I know what you mean, this happens with kids too. I take one in to the dr and wait, wait, wait. Dr comes in for 1.5 minutes and says he's fine. It's bittersweet, ya know. You're happy they are fine, but annoyed you had to pay (and wait forever in a crowded room) for that reassurance.

Mr & Mrs Hilton said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog! I think with running you just got to start and then it gets easier and then it really does get fun! I would love to do dinner sometime! Thanks again, it made my day! Have a nice weekend!

Scott and Lindsey said...

We go to the University Pet Hospital, and it aint cheap. Our quote to neuter our dog was $500. Of course, he does get his very own nurse to make sure he is doing ok.
We are going to check into the Humane Society. It's just a snip, snip, right?

Barry said...

Kiki is just so cute!