Monday, June 30, 2008

{seriously?!?}

So, today I'm on my way home from work and there is a bus full of elementary school kids next to me. As I'm sitting in my car waiting for the light to turn green, I start to feel like someone is watching me, and I look over at the bus to see a little girl staring at me. Trying to be polite, I give her a little smile and she gives me a crusty. Nice- good to know her mom taught her manners- or maybe she was just ignoring strangers as kids are taught to do these days. Anyway, I can't help but glace back since I can still feel her stare burning a hole through my skull. The girl looked about 8 or 9 years old...maybe 10, and was wearing a tank top, but the kind that has a t-back (like a little wife-beater type). Then I noticed something that shocked me. Under her black tank you could clearly see her pink bra straps. This little girl had no breasts at all, and even if she was sporting a training bra, what mother in her right mind lets her daughter walk around with a pink bra showing!?! She then proceeded to flip open her cell phone and text. Oh, and did I mention, she had drawn the letters "SEXY" on her knuckles to look like a tattoo? Classy young one. Classy.

All I could think was, "What the crap is wrong with kids these days?!" I didn't even have a cell phone till I was 21!!! And even then, I only got one because the guy I was interested in had one and I was embarrassed for him to call my house phone. Lame reason, I know. When I was 10, I was strutting around with a side ponytail, stirrup leggings, and an over sized tee shirt that I gathered on the side to look cool. Heck, I wasn't even allowed to shave my legs or wear makeup till I was about 13! Seriously, what is the deal these days with people dressing their kids like they're prosti-tots!? I mean, you don't have to be a prude or make your kids dress dorky, but you can look modest and classy by dressing them their age! I know people who are letting their little girls go tanning, get their hair colored, and wear mascara at age 8! All I can say is GIVE ME A BREAK! Let your kids be kids! Adult life is a big responsibility and hard, so why are people allowing their kids to grow up so fast?!

I'm stepping off my soapbox, but I want to know your thoughts? Is it okay to let 10 year olds have cell phones? What about colored bras? Makeup? Sexy clothes? Where do you draw the line?

13 comments:

Lisa K said...

Cell phones is our biggest problem in YW. Some of the girls just CAN'T part from their phones for 3 hours. It's like their friends will disown them if they can't immediately text back, no matter where they are. Ridiculous.

Katie said...

oh man.. Kurt and I talked about limitations and rules before we had kids, and we really ought to write it down. Shaelie is our only girl, but she can't pierce her ears, wear make up, etc, etc until certain ages (12-14). She will not own a cell phone until she can pay for it. She's already asking for an i-Pod, thanks to her cousin. NOT happening.

I swear the kids these days are so spoiled. I pray my kids will appreciate the things they do have and not always want more, more, more.

cathycan said...

while we're on the subject, what ever happened to "Little girl shoes"!? why must all the little girls have a little heal on their shoes now?? and don't get me started on having their nails done at age 11 and streaks put in their hair!! Let your girls be little girls, encourage them to develop talents and interests and goals other than " I want boys to like me!! I'm not worth anything other than what I look like"

Jessica Kettle said...

I remember in 8th grade those one inch strap abercrombie & fitch tanks were super-cool at my school- I wore one to school over a t-shirt and when I got there, ditched the t-shirt. I lasted maybe 15 minutes, I felt so naked. haha! Times have changed apparently.

John, Allisha, & Ezra said...

I love your blog today. I agree with you. I was watching my nieces one day as they were watching Charlotte's Webb. The Mom on there was worried about her daughter not having friends, only imaginary friends, so she spoke to the doctor about it. He replied something like,"It's very serious, it's childhood, and sadly enough, she will grow out of it." I always think about that line when Ezra is acting two. Wait, he is two. :) I hope I don't get caught up with the times and let my kids be little.

Brittney Andy and Boston said...

Amen.
My mom colored my hair at 12 and I've never seen my real hair color since. She also bought my first tanning pass, I went everyday that summer. MY skin is already showing the effects.
I now discourage all the little girls that sit in my chair from coloring their hair. I would hate for them to start the cycle I am in. I have not tanned in about 5 years.
I also hate the cell phones. My parents did give me one at 16. But it only had 15 minutes a month and no texting. I was only allowed to call home and they could call to find me. Which I am ok with, but I am so sick of them at church. I felt it was disprespectful of the girls to use them while I was teaching. I also saw 5 or 6 adults leave during sacrament a couple of weeks ago to answer the phone. Granted, one was a DR. and I know he was on call, but come on. It's sacrament. What is do dang important. We can't even make time for the Lord anymore.

Sarah Marie said...

Oh man... this post makes me scarred to have kids- cuz then they'll grow up into little teenagers! Seriously that is SO, SO sad about that little girl... Seriously, I don't know what she wrote "SEXY" on her knuckles - who is teaching her these things?! I feel like when I'm a parent I will totally limit their TV/Movies -- stuff is so scandalous these days. And yeah, a 10-year-old should def not have a cellphone or a pink bra. WTH?! I didn't have a cellphone until I was 18 and that's only because my mom made me get one so I could call her if I was staying out late. AHH teenagers these days are SO scary! I was such a good, innocent little girl...

April said...

What really gets me is when parents dress their little girls in playboy bunny t-shirts and then talk about how cute they are.
Kids need to be kids. I was talking to Elliot the other day about not wanting to even overdo lessons and sports. I don't want our kids to be so over-scheduled that they don't have time to go outside and use their imaginations.
My kids (I hope) will really be peculiar in this world. That's what we are going for.
Now that you got me going...
You know the problem with kids "growing up too fast"? It's not that they are being treated to act responsibly. It's not that they are learning to contribute to the home. The problem is that they are only growing up in the way they look and talk (about totally inappropriate things that "adults" shouldn't talk about either). They are being taught (by our allowance and thus reinforcement)to be disrespectful, lazy, irreverent, and immodest. No responsibility or accountability, cause after all, they are just kids, right? It's a bad, BAD thing we are doing.
...Ahem...
I'll stop now.

shell said...

I seriously laughed so hard when I read "Prostitot" LOL... oh my gosh I love this post.

You and Lisa coming up with new words! I love it. Lisa's new word was mock blog. and I've used it about 4 times in the past 24hrs.

I will now be using prostitot too :)

Summer said...

OMG! I can't believe that. It boggles my mind that parents let their kids do that or do that to their kids. It is a scary world we live in.

Barry said...

One word, sis: Prosti-tots. :)

Vail blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vail blog said...

previous comment is
what happens when your running on three hours of sleep and a snickers!