Monday, June 16, 2008

{reunited and it feels so good}

Again, I need to apologize for the lack of posts. We still don't have our internet hooked up & my brother who knows how to do it is going on vacation for a week, so if you know anyone who is tech savvy, please give me their contact info so I can access the outside world from my house!!! I was also unable to post recently because we spent the weekend with Andrew's family at their HUGE family reunion at the Hidden Springs Ranch in Altamont, Utah (aka the middle of nowhere). I say huge because it was seriously big (not just the cabin)! There were like, 120 people there! Now, that might not seem like a bunch to some of you with big families, but when my side of the family has a reunion, there are about 25-30 people there, so I was a bit overwhelmed to say the least. So now, without further adieu, I give you.....



This was the HUGE cabin that slept all 120 of us! Check out the link above for more pics...

I'm going to be honest here and tell you that I don't remember the name of the guy dressed like an Indian. He was a great uncle...or maybe a cousin...anyway, he and his wife were in charge of the "initiations". Every other year when they have the reunion, they initiate the new wives/husbands & also the new babies. This year they played a "Are you smarter than a tribesman" game and if you got to a certain level you were initiated. The questions were about family history, family secrets, etc. (The parents of the babies play for them). Last year I guess they did a fear factor game and made the newbies eat worms and crickets and such. When I heard they initiate you, I thought I'd have to jump in the pool naked or something....I lucked out I guess! (Notice Andrew in the right hand corner? Your spouses were there to help you if you needed it)

Here I am trying to show Andrew my answer to see if I had it right. (sneaky eh?)

Sad thing though- Andrew didn't know much about his own family history. I was initiated anyway. Phew

This is our initiation prize. The theme was western/indians, which I found a little offensive since I am part Cherokee Indian. (j/k...I wasn't really offended, but I am part Cherokee. For realz...like a 1/16 or something)

The sista's and I enjoyed a clay facial.

The true initiation came when Andrew had to shoot an apple off the top of my head. Here he is aiming. Good thing he has a good shot!

Don't worry, I got him back.

Since I passed all the tests, Teri did a ceremonial dance on the coveted cardboard box.
All in all, it was a nice weekend, and nice to "officially" be in the family!

9 comments:

Lisa K said...

That is a huge family reunion. And I swear the Crawfords are related to half the people in this state!

JJ, Mands, and Lil said...

That had to be one heck of a cabin to sleep 120 people. I can't even imagine. Looked like so much fun and I loved the shooting/aiming pics.

lifeinredshoes said...

YOUR'E BAAAAACK!!! I thought you must be dead or something, but then i would have heard from your Mom. Pretty chickenshit about the dog don't you agree!

Aubrey said...

What a reunion! And I kinda laughed when you said you're like 1/6 Cherokee Indian...me too!!!

Steph Corwin said...

Gosh how fun! I don't think our families are at all big enough to have a reunion, we have mini-ones all the time! lol.

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

WOW! That is a TON of people! I can't believe you all fit in that cabin! Crazy!!! Oh -- and your last post about being locked out -- totally crappy. I've done the same thing so many times. Those door handles are tricky! And you looked GORGEOUS at your brother's wedding. That coral color looks really good on you!

The Little Hiatt Family said...

Shannon, that looks like it was a BLAST! That cabin is implausible. It is massive!
Even though there were a lot of people there that you didn’t know, I am pleased that you had an excellent time. It appears like there was a lot to do! Heck, I wish that my family reunions were like that. Psh. Our last family get-together, each family was assigned a color to wear. So everyone in green was the Paul family, everyone in red was the Jarvis family, etc… and we had it in a church in Roy. Needless to say, Andrew’s family has wonderful fun ideas!

Sarah Marie said...

Oh man, that looks like so much fun! I love that you were initiated into the family! too funny! And I like your offensive prize- hee. You always take the silliest pictures- I love it! The reunion location looks beautiful!

BECKY said...

Holy huge cabin and family reunion! It sounded fun though!