Wednesday, June 11, 2008

{locked out}

So....I locked myself out of my house this morning.
I know most of you are thinking, "Oh no! That's too bad!" and yes, it was too bad, although a few things made it a bit more exciting. The first was that even though it's June 11, it was 45 degrees outside this morning (how often does that happen?!). I mean, it's just so fun being stuck outside in the cold! The second exciting thing was that I was in my underwear when it happened. I panicked a little at first, but then I realized that g's kinda look like a white shirt and long, spandex white shorts, so I hoped people thought I was just going for a run or something (minus the running shoes).

Okay, so I wasn't really in my underwear, but it was super cold and I had flip flops on and a short sleeved shirt, so it felt like I was running around in my skivvies!

Here's how it all went down.

Late last night, I asked Andrew to take out the trash and put the trash cans in front of the house since Wednesday is our trash day. He went outside, came back in, and said, "Shan, I dumped the trash, but only a few houses had their trash cans out, so I didn't put ours out...are you sure tomorrow is the trash day?" "Yeah", I said. "I'm pretty sure tomorrow is trash day, but I'll just put them out tomorrow morning."

So morning comes, and Andrew leaves for work, and I'm almost ready (just have to put shoes on and throw some mascara on) when I realize we didn't put the trash cans out, and I can hear the trash truck coming up the street. So slip some flip flops on and run outside. **Now, here is where everything went down the crapper.** Our front door is actually a french door, and there is a dead bolt and a regular lock on the handle. Well, when you lock the handle, it opens and turns from inside, but is locked on the outside. Anyway, the handle was locked when I ran outside, but I didn't realize it since it opens from the inside. So, with only the garage door opener in my hand, I ran outside, only to see that the lady that lives above us had already put the trash out, so I turned and went back...only the door wouldn't open...and it started to rain. I thought maybe if I turned the handle really hard, I could make it open, but it wouldn't budge (which is good I guess if someone tried to break in). Then I looked for an open window, but we're not too keen on unseasonably cold weather in June, so of course everything was closed up tightly. My last option was to run to a neighbors house and borrow their phone. When I finally found a neighbor who would open their door at 7:30 in the morning, to a wet, bare footed girl with a garage door opener in her hand, I was able to call Andrew to leave work and let me in. The lady was kind enough to let me use her phone, but didn't want me to chill in her nice, warm house till Andrew got there, so right when I hung up the phone she said, "Okie dokie..." and looked at her door in a way that says, "That was my good deed for the day lady...now get out!" So I said, "Umm...okay, well thank you so much! Uh...I guess I'll just wait in the garage." Which is what I did. Andrew showed up about 30 minutes later and let me in.

So, what did I learn? Well, first, I should hide a key outside somewhere in case this happens again (which I don't doubt that it will). Second is this....to all husbands out there...don't question your wife! Trash day IS on Wednesday!

15 comments:

Meg and Alex said...

Oh my I'm sorry! I'm sure it will happen to me one day too, we have the same type of door! Except I would probably be able to get in from my neighbors above me, I swear they never leave! It's true about the husband thing, I hate taking the garbage out so I make Alex do it and he never does it, and I just let it pile up and wait for him to notice,of course he won't so finally I eventually take it out.
And I can't beleive this stupid weather! It doesn't even feel like summer.

The Badgers said...

That is great! At least it is not as bad as thinking you locked yourself INSIDE your car. Yes, I did that for a second once. Ha ha ha. Have a good one!

Barry said...

I'm sorry to hear that you got locked out, Sis! Hopefully you'll feel better.

Hey! I just realized that my comments don't show up on my blog! How do you make them show?

Katie said...

Shan.. you got me! When I read that you were locked out in your "skivvies" my heart literally sunk into my stomach.

So, while I'm not glad you were locked out, I'm glad it wasn't that bad!

And.. that lady shoulda let you stay, but oh well.

Sarah Marie said...

Oh my goodness-- this is so hilarious! I'm so sorry you were locked out in the freezing cold! Wait- you were in your g's? What's that? I can't believe you had to go to that lady's house barefoot at 7:30 in the morning! Or that she kicked you out after you got off the phone. Oh man! This story just HAD to be blogged about.

John, Allisha, & Ezra said...

Oh...that is so funny. I did that this winter in a snow storm, but I had a face mask on, pajamas, and slippers. Ezra was stuck in the house by himself too. Thankfully I found a window that was unlocked. We need to make a note to ourselves...Dear Shannon and Allisha, Hide a key. :)

Lisa K said...

Andrew's in the dog house for that one, for sure! You're at least nice enough to do it for him when he forgot. I would have just thought "oh well" and not even tried. That's why you're a better person than me. =)

Jess said...

This happens a lot at our house! It sucks!! Makes for a funny story though!

April said...

Oh ho ho! No so gud.

McCall said...

oh my gosh!!! the irony!!! i had to trade my sister-in-law cars today and left my house key on the car ring when we switched! now keep in mind I DON'T HAVE A HUSBAND TO CALL!!! thank heavens it hit me before i drove ALL the way home from her house in Murray to Pleasant Grove. so, not quite the drama of yours but, could've been. hahaha!

Katy said...

UH OH!!!! LOL! That's a great story!!!

Robyn Reynolds said...

That is a good story. Sounds like something I would do.

BECKY said...

Ugh! It's frustrating to have all that time go down the drain, but you have to take it in stride... which is just what you did!

I hope you're moving in fabulously and get some pics up soon!

lifeinredshoes said...

2 days with no blog? What the hell is wrong with you?

shell said...

I take out the trash all the time. I don't think Chad's taken it out once.

and I agree with lifeinredshoes.

what the hell is wrong with you!!!