Friday, May 30, 2008

{why comment?}

Ah...It feels just like yesterday when I started my blog and wrote my very first post! "Ooh," I thought, "To finally have a little spot in cyber space to talk about whatever I want and share my ideas and thoughts!" It was blissful! Then, I realized something that was even more exciting...comments! My first two comments came from my old jr high school friend, Karlie and my new friend, Ashley. I had no idea who Ashley was at the time, even though I was thrilled someone found my blog and was reading it! When I read her blog, I was even more thrilled to have her as my first blog buddy! (For those of you who don't know, a blog buddy is a friend who I've never met in real life- we just stalk each others blogs and leave comments- it's a beautiful relationship!)

With that said, I've been meaning to talk to ya'll about this commenting thing. You see, many of you read my blog every day, and I wouldn't know this, but since the invention of the hit counter (which I have at the bottom of my blog) it tells me how many hits I get each day. So when I see that 30 people have looked at my blog, and I only have 2 comments, I can't help but try to swallow the lump that starts forming in my throat and wonder why nobody likes me.

Okay, so I'm really not that dramatic, but seriously, comments are a blogger's air. I love comments! I anticipate comments! Yet, sadly, there are even a few of you who have never left a comment, even though I leave comments on your blog all the time! Why you gotta be hatin'? Now, I'm not one to hold grudges, so if you just leave one itsy bitsy little comment, you'll be forgiven!

Here are a few reasons why I think people don't comment:
1- You don't know how to leave a comment, or you don't think you can because you don't have a blog. Well my friends, the beautiful thing about this world, is that everyone can comment! At the bottom of every post it says "comments". Just click on that, type your comment, and if you don't have a blog, just post as anonymous (just be sure to put your name in your comment so I know who you are!). If you're still having trouble figuring it out, click here.
2- Maybe you want to leave a comment, so you type it out, but right before you click "publish" you suddenly feel a little self conscious and think what you've written is lame, or maybe you're worried the person won't get your sense of humor, so you edit your comment or you just delete it all together. My answer to this problem: BE YE NOT AFRAID! I'm a huge fan of the random/funny/interesting comment! Say whatever you want (just be nice)!
3- Time- maybe you just don't have time to comment. I have no solution to this, except maybe get up like 5 minutes earlier so you have time to comment.

I think Sue said it best when she said, "If You Choose Not to Comment...
...that's fine - just be aware that I may die. Really. Because every person who reads without commenting kills off another little piece of my SOUL. I just wanted you to know. So you can, you know, have a clear conscience at my funeral. Which might be soon. No pressure though."

Amen Sista...Amen!

18 comments:

McCall said...

I feel privileged to be the first comment on the "comment blog."

Lisa K said...

I hear ya on getting lots of hits but few comments!

Steph Corwin said...

I've noticed commenting has been down on my blog as well. I totally know how you are feeling!

Anonymous said...

HI Shannon its Andrea, so I came across your blog while I was visiting someone else's blog. (is that correct english?) Anywho, I diddn't even know that you made/or were selling jewels! They are really cute! Well I just thought I would let you know that I read you blog!!!! Talk to you soon!

SaraLady said...

I second your comment!! I hate when I don't get comments, it is depressing! Thanks for being brave and calling everyone out!!!

April said...

You're so right. I look at my blog each day to see if someone has looked and cared. *sniff* But alas, my readers (if there are more than three) need some advising in this direction.
By the way, go read my blog and leave me a comment. NOW. hehe. Also, remember that we want to do some sort of eating together?

Sarah Marie said...

You are SOOO awesome, you funny girlie! I love that you called out ppl by saying "Yet, sadly, there are even a few of you who have never left a comment, even though I leave comments on your blog all the time! Why you gotta be hatin'?" Yeah-- why you gotta be hating?! And i love, love, love that you told ppl to wake up five mins earlier to comment! Seriously, it only takes a sec! Man, gotta love those comments! Hope this post gets you lots and lots of comments! show some love, people!

shell said...

so true. I might need to go to comments annonymous. blogs are just a way to form friendships and build relationships in my opinion. and not leaving comments is like walking into a room and ignoring someone and then when they try to talk to you you put up your hands and say "AS IF!"

I love you shan!

just thought I'd add that in there!

shell said...

and I mean annonymous because I am addicted to them

Barry said...

Hmm.. You've given me some new ideas on comments. I'll post about them. I try to comment on your blog whenever I read it, which is almost every post. However, I expect you do the same, sis. :) Thanks.

Samantha said...

Let me start off with this thought my dear.. You get more comments then I have ever got. Yes, I am new to this whole "blogging" world, but come on honey I think you are doing alright. (hehe) you make me laugh with the comment about a little piece of your soul getting cut off. haha Shan, I still ask myself after reading each of your posts where you come up with this stuff. I Love you! Thanks for making me laugh. Cheer up my little friend you do get a nice load of comments. :)(way more then me..ha...ha..eh) Oh sorry...random don't ask me what that meant.

Clair said...

Hi Shannon,

I just came from Barry's blog and you two must be in cahoots. ;)
I love your blog and read most everyday. I’m just not big on leaving comments. But seriously you are so talented and funny! I hope we make it to the wedding this summer and get to see everyone!
Love,
Cousin Clair

Brittney Andy and Boston said...

So for the last two weeks I have been planning to copy the last post you made on commenting. Now I feel like Johnny come lately.
I addded the visitor tracker so I would know who came to visit, then I follow them. I have found a lot of people that I haven't talked to in years have been following my blog. Then I harrass them for not commenting. I write the blog for people to read. I want to know it's getting read. They don't have to comment every time, I would just like to know they are there.

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

I LOVE comments too, Shan! There were a few of my posts a few weeks ago that got NO comments. It made me kinda sad. (I think you were gone in Mexico at the time -- because you are my most faithful commenter!!!-- So THANK YOU!) I know I don't comment on every single one of your blogs, but it's because I don't check blogs every day -- So, I'm SO SORRY about that! Hope you are having a great day and hope that moving went OK!

cathycan said...

the worst is when you read a blog that you really have a strong feeling for and make a comment, but then realize it's an "old" blog ( couple days) and you know NO ONE is ever going to read it! I just have to say to myself, "well, at least I got that off my chest!"

MikeBadger said...

Everyone enjoys the idea that something they have posted has engaged a reader's interest enough to merit a comment. I found that the post that get the most comments are the ones that are brief, have at least 1 picture and ask the reader a question. Also, if you want your blog to be more interactive, make sure you comment on other people's comments :p

The Hunters, Almost! said...

amen! I just started my blog and it's quite lonely! I definitely wish blogging was more popular. Does blogger have a search or browse so that you can find blogs of people you know???

-stalker/Lurker VAL!

Talia said...

So I was just going to come here to your blog and read a bit and then leave... but then I read this post, and I knew I had to comment. :) hehe
I too love, love, love comments. Each one puts a smile on my face and inspires me to blog even more! I think I just like knowing that I have an actual connection with the people I've come to know and love through their blogs. As opposed to me wondering if they just think of me as an annoying obssessed person who keeps commenting on their blog! :)
Anyway, I have read you before and enjoy your blog, and I'm glad you wrote this so I was inspired to speak up and say hello.

Hello! :)