Saturday, May 17, 2008

Student Driver

Shan's mom here, cathycan.
This morning I went driving with my 15 yr. old. He is wracking up hours to get his driver's license in Nov. I have been through this with my 3 other, older children. With Barry, the first, I remember dropping him off at the Driver's Ed. course and pulling over to bawl in front of the High School. My baby was driving! It was as bad as dropping him off for his first day of Kindergarten! I was also very hormonal back then. Now, I don't have one left in my body.Unless you count testosterone, which is apparent in my ongoing battle with stray chin hairs..I know ..too much information about someone you've only just met.
ANYWAY..We got up early and took off with a jerky start. The morning was beautiful, the roads almost empty as we made our way up 7th East.My son sat in that straight ,vigilant posture that new drivers use, eyes intently focused on the road. Our goal, Banbury Cross Donuts. The only true and living donuts in Salt Lake City! (Note to Mother of the Bride Dress hanging in closet, Cover Ears, Do Not Read!)Had to have a Cinnamon, Buttermilk, Pink, Chocolate. Then Tyler got..J.K.!! I didn't really eat 4 donuts! We got a couple of milks and headed over to Liberty Park, where there was some Run/Walk going on.He carefully maneuvered to find a parking place and we proceeded to sit and eat our donuts in the car as children, dogs, old folks and others ran, walked, huffed, puffed and sweated past us. It was a guilty pleasure!! I mean, here are all these people in the pursuit of better health and probably a good cause, like Diabetes Awareness and I am SITTING in a car eating donuts!I expected the Vice Patrol to knock on the car window any moment to cite me for lewd conduct in a park!
It was a good morning and I am turning over a new leaf! From this moment on, no more donuts! 'til after the wedding.

7 comments:

lifeinredshoes said...

Whoo Hoo!!!!! You did it! Driving, donuts and blogging! Welcome to the club! Now, will you teach Alyssa? Remember, we are BFF's.

shell said...

those donuts sound soooo good. I'll have to check it out when I come into town.

scabiosa said...

Ha ha ha! What a great post Cathy. I have not had Banbury Cross Donuts forever! Yum! I won't judge. Shan is lucky to have a mom like you. You always seemed to have to best relationship. Anyway, good luck with the driving lessons with your LAST BABY! Karlie

BECKY said...

HA HA! Great post!

Sarah Marie said...

YUM!!! I love it! Sitting in a car, hanging out and eating donuts sounds much better than a run to me! This was too funny! Great guest post!

Shane and Jamie Smith said...

haha that was a great post!!! I love this idea of the guest Blogger!!! Shan where did you go on vacation??

Shan said...

great post cathy! i loved that! shan, we miss you, but your mom is a really close second for an adorably hilarious story!