Monday, May 26, 2008

{moving}

Sorry for the lack of posts- we're in the process of moving and it's a bit stressful. Our scheduled "moving day" is next Saturday, but I was hoping to get some things moved over to the new place today. However, since it's rainy, I don't think that's going to happen.

Moving is stressful, and I've learned that Andrew and I have two, very different ideas of how to pack. His idea is to pull everything out and set it in the living room- basically moving objects from one room to another, unpacked. *sigh* I, on the other hand, have a system. I like to pack up one room at a time, labeling the box with the room it goes in and also what's inside the box (i.e. 2nd bedroom- books & accessories). I feel more organized by doing this, and it makes unpacking so much easier! I also didn't realize the amount of crap we've accumulated over the year! This is another area where Andrew and I differ. If I haven't used something (or even thought about it) in a year, I get rid of it. Even things I use now and then that are old and cause clutter, I toss. Andrew on the other hand holds on to everything! When we moved in together, he had a box full of trucker hats. I was a little surprised because I have never seen him wear a hat. When he saw them in the box, he had forgotten he even had them, and even though he has never worn them, he didn't want to get rid of them. So, now that we're moving again, I'm sure there are things he would never miss if he never saw them again, however I'm sure it'll be a battle as I try to toss out the old, unused items.

So, bear with me a I try to get things in order! I promise I'll try to post more this week!

P.S. If you have any packing tips, let me know!

9 comments:

tai and joe said...

Hello! Oh how I hate moving. We had everything packed and ready to go and the people backed out of ours and we decided to stay in our apartment. Joe and I worked so fast and got everything unpacked the same day, and we mandaged to through out eight huge boxes and a shelf to the DI! Its such a great feeling. I am very sad that you are moving. I still want to purchase those earrings from you. I am going to try to get our VT done this week.

tai and joe said...

Oh yeah did you get someone to take over your contract?

John, Allisha, & Ezra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John, Allisha, & Ezra said...

Shannon,
Congrats on your move. Where are you going? So, I have an idea on how to get your hubby to get rid of things. Take a picture of whatever it is and put it in a book that he can look at and still have his memories. Shutterfly.com is what I use. I have scanned all of my letters that I've received over the years, wedding cards, graduation tastles...everything that creates clutter, but has memories. It's great! Good luck in the move.

Barry said...

Ya know, I used to be really nostalgic like that as well. I'd hold on to anything. I used to keep all of my old movie ticket stubs and such until I realized that it does me no good. There are a few important items I hold onto for nostalgic reasons, but I certainly don't keep very many things anymore.

Anyway, good luck packing! I'll help you guys move this weekend!

Sarah Marie said...

Hee-- I like Andrew's style of packing! Too funny! Actually though, we've lived in this apartment for three years-- for the most part cuz I am dreading packing! Maybe when it comes down to it, I will throw everything in the box like Andrew cuz I'll be overwhelmed! Ahh!!! Hmm... I don't really know any good packing tips but I like your methods-- putting spare room stuff together, kitchen stuff...yada yada...and throwing out stuff you don't really need/use anymore. Good luck!!! I hope packing is going well!

shell said...

it must be a guy thing because Chad wants to keep ALL of his stuff. We've been packing around a box of old college textbooks for 6 years now because "they hold valuable information" and "they cost a lot of money" errr!

and I'm just like you I get rid of stuff all the time!

BECKY said...

So I must have missed a post, but where are you moving to? Did you guys end up getting a house? Or a different aparment?

Anyway, can't wait to see the new place!

Lisa K said...

Joe still has his rock collection, baseball card collection, and trucker hat collection from his childhood that he refuses to part with. So you're not alone.