Wednesday, May 14, 2008

{Let’s talk about chests}

And I’m not talking about boobs here, mm k? The first time I read Shannon’s blog she was talking about her upholstery class and I immediately knew she was my kind of gal. Design gal that is. I have a weak spot in my heart for furniture, especially chairs, and with that one post I was completely hooked on her blog. When deciding what to guest post about the possibilities were endless. We have so much in common… from loving pie, to our hubbys, or fabulous jewelry, even camping, but somewhere deep down I knew it just had to be about furniture.

One day almost 5 years ago (living in LA, totally broke by the way.. important detail to the story) Chris was taking me to work at good ol’ Johnny Rockets (don’t laugh). On the drive there we passed by an old antique shop with some special goodies out on the sidewalk trying to attract attention from potential customers. There it was! I saw it. I gasped!



“Ooo. Would you look at that old chest? Oh my god… it is so cool. I dream of owning one of those one day.”

“Oh, cool. I didn’t see it. Sorry”

Oh boys. Whatever. Anyway, everyday on my drive to work I would glance over to see if the old chest was still there…. dreaming about the day I would actually have enough money to buy something old and beautiful from an antique store. Eventually I forgot about the chest and stopped checking out to see if it was still there on my drive to work. Weeks went by and on one not particularly special day I came home from my long shift serving hamburgers and milkshakes to find at the foot of my bed the stunning beautiful chest I had been drooling over weeks before. He had seen it. He had remembered… and he had bought it. I was alone when I found it. Chris was at work. I immediately started crying when I opened the chest to find one perfectly placed love note. We now keep all of our love notes and cards in that chest from the past 5 years, and I love it. It was the first thing for our home that Chris ever bought for me, and it was an amazing gift. Over the years it has been used at the foot of our bed, as a coffee table, and now in its happy home in our office.

I love to look at it and imagine the person that must have owned it before me, and how happy they would be to know how full of love it now is.

Hope you are having a wonderful time in Mexico you two!

Oh and I almost forgot… It wouldn’t be an Ashley guest post without a little of this photoshop real candid photo action:


Ouch Shannon. Already sun burnt?

11 comments:

Jen said...

Aw, what a very sweet story!

Sarah Marie said...

Ashley-- this is the cutest story EVER. I love how you told the story! That is so freakin romantic and adorable -- that Chris is such a sweetieheart! So thoughtful. I love that you keep your love notes in it! And that the chest has been used by the bed, coffee table and in the office-- the whole house loves it! IT is a very, very cool chest-- has such character! Oh man, I also love that you used to work at Johnny Rockets -- you are TOO awesome!! Ha to the photoshop as well! You couldn't leave that out.

Scott and Lorie said...

ahhh. score for your honey! he is so thoughtful! and i LOVE old chests too. i have one as a coffee table.

Lauren said...

I am such a sucker for antique chests. Why do they always have to be so outrageously priced?

shell said...

that was the sweetest thing I have ever read! ever. that would make me cry!

Someone Being Me said...

What a great guy. Mine is more of a you pick it out and I'll pay for it kind of guy. That is a really cool chest though.

Colleen Sherman said...

Oh Ashley!! What a great hubby you have with all these surprises he does for you!!! I may accidentally print this, along with all the other posts you've written about Chris surprising you... and accidentally leave it on my husband's pillow. :-)

Talia said...

I love your story about this! It is so sweet. What a romantic gesture, and it is just perfect for all those love notes that I'm sure you two lovebirds must write to each other. :)
I have an old chest too-- I got it for 75% off at an antique sale (because the handle was a bit broken) and I just love it-- it did not enter my life in quite as romantic a way as yours, but guess what?? I keep our love notes in there too, along with my wedding veil and other love memories! Great minds think alike. :)

by the way, hello Shannon! I keep meaning to comment on your blog, but have just never gotten around to it. I enjoy reading your stuff. :)

Shan said...

ash, this was an inspirational story! my wedding anniversary is in less than a week and I am still struggling with what to do, but this gave me an idea.

leslie said...

cheers for buying used furniture!

Master Blaster said...

Ok you're husband deserves an extra dose of the good lovin'. Cuz that's some real good husbanding right there.