Sunday, May 4, 2008

{CREPPY}

Ah...today has been SUCH a nice day! Seriously, there's nothing like sitting on your back porch with your legs in the sun, sipping a cup of chai while listening to the birds chirp, enjoying an intriguing novel, while a spider descends right in front of your face, almost landing in your lap!

That's right, I had an encounter with the itsy bitsy spider, although he wasn't so bitsy! As I was enjoying the afternoon bliss, I was attacked by a spider, and I handled it all on my own. *shudder* (Sorry, I just got the chills again from thinking about it!)

So there I was, sitting on my porch, enjoying the sun (as previously mentioned) when all of the sudden I see something dangling in front of me. I look up, and a creepy, yellow spider is dangling from it's web, swaying to and fro in the warn afternoon breeze right in front of me, almost landing on my boob. I screamed and shot out of my seat like a bat out of...well, you get the idea! Andrew was out back on the grass, testing out his new helicopter, so I had to face the beast on my own. I made sure I had my eye on him the entire time, and tried picking him up with my orange watering can. I figured if I got him on there, I could hold the watering can over the balcony and shake it, and the spider would fall to the grass below, but alas, I underestimated his determination to stay on my porch and torture me. As planned, I got him on the can, but right as I was about to hold it over the balcony, he darted toward the handle I was holding, and I freaked out, dropping the watering can over the balcony. I thought he went down with it, but when I looked down, he was on the ground inches from my bare feet. I screamed again and yelled down to Andrew for help. "Just grab your shoe and kill it!" was his response. Only a few seconds had passed, and the spider had climbed to the edge of the balcony, so I grabbed my mug and placed it upside down over the spider. Then I ran inside, grabbed the closest shoe I could find, ran back outside, overturned the mug and smashed him.
I immediately felt bad.
After all, he was just a little spider, trying to make a home on my porch, and I killed him. Now I feel like all his buddies are out with a vengeance, spying on my every move, waiting for just the right moment to attack me.
Yes, I always have my camera with me, which is how I caught all the action....
Here sits the spider, right before he climbed the to the edge of the balcony. Looks are deceiving people- he was much, MUCH bigger in person...I swear!
The mug I trapped him under while I searched for a shoe.
Weapon of choice

7 comments:

shell said...

lol! oh my gosh Shan you poor thing. Andrew you should have helped her. Oh and that shoe woman... I don't think that spider had a more faboulous way of going.

Katie said...

Dang, Gina.. my heart was pounding. Andrew, you shoulda flew up there and killed the dang thing for poor Shannon!!

I hate spiders. Itsy bitsy or not - Kill it.

Barry said...

What was it that Mom always said? "Let a spider have it's life, and you'll have good luck for all your life." Something like that... rhyming life with life and all...

Anyway, I read a web page about spider myths awhile back and since then I'm not that afraid of spiders. I'll have to find it for you, Shan. :)

Sarah Marie said...

Oh man-- you are too hilarious! I love that you posted the "weapon of choice"! That was the best. It was Shan...on the porch, with the zebra striped Naturalizer!

Brittney Andy and Boston said...

about a week ago I was doing a new client's hair. She is watching me in the mirror and suddenly says, there is a spider above your head. WHAT I freak out while trying to look calm and collected and the business professional. She was right, there was a little spider crawling down its web towards my head. If she hadn't said anything I would have never known. She, as in my client, got a paper towel and killed it for me. I felt so lame.

Scott and Lindsey said...

I hate spiders. I NEVER kill them. I either leave the room and hope they go away or I trap them under a glass for Scott to kill.
About a month ago I was getting out of the shower (I'm totally blind without my contacts), reached for my towel, put it on and noticed some dark splotch on the towel. AHHH! It was a HUGE, hairy, scary spider. I screamed, threw my towel, grabbed another one, ran for the kitchen and trapped that bad boy. That is where Scott found him 6 hours later. Thank goodness for husbands!

berto said...

Well, it is ok. Do you have more photos of your equipments.. i have visited the site komatpillar.com it sells a lot of used machineries and heavy equipment. Iam still searching on the internet who sells machineries with the Caterpillar brand.