Thursday, May 29, 2008

{childhood fears}

So last week, my family and I were sitting around my parents dining room table, finishing up Sunday dinner when the topic of sleeping came up. Now, the minute this topic came up, I braced myself for the persecution I was about to endure for my weird sleeping habits, and I was quick to defend myself. Andrew: "Did you guys know it takes Shan at least 20 minutes to get comfortable before she goes to sleep!?" This is where I interrupted and quickly said, "Uh, yeah!?" (Saying it as if his statement was so obvious because it takes everyone 20 minutes to get comfortable, right?) "I can't just lay down, cover up, and fall asleep the minute my head hits the pillow (referring to Andrew). I have to have fluff my pillow. Then I have to make sure the sheet is turned down over the comforter! And after that, finding a comfortable position is almost impossible." My dad and brother agreed about the sheet thing, but Andrew and my mom looked at me like I was crazy. Then my dad asked if I still pulled the covers up over my mouth, and I laughed. Andrew also started laughing and said, "WHAT?!" in the way you say "what" when you've just heard something so ridiculous you can't believe it's true. Everyone was waiting to hear the story behind this odd past sleeping habit, so I began to tell the tale.

Now first, let me just give a little advise to parents out there with young children. Do not let your child watch late night television. The 80's were a great decade for movies (i.e. Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Indiana Jones, etc), but there was one movie in particular that scared the ba-gee-zees out of me. I don't even remember where I saw it, and I don't even think I saw the whole movie, but I saw enough of it for it to terrify me and cause me to sleep with the covers over my mouth for about a decade.

The movie was Cat's Eye, and all I remember about it was this: A little troll came out of a hole in the wall of a little girls bedroom and climbed up on the girls bed to suck her breath out. Then a brave little cat saved the girl from the breath sucking troll by tossing the troll into a fan, killing it.
Yes, it was terrifying, and I just knew there was a little troll waiting to crawl out of the vent in my room and suck out my breath. We had 2 cats that I knew would try to save me when that little troll arrived, but since my dad made them sleep in the garage, I had to take matters into my own hands to protect myself. What did I do? Well, I pulled the covers up over my mouth! And I slept that way, seriously, for about 10 years...okay, maybe only like 6 years, but still. I was scarred for life!

So now, years later, I decided to see if I could find the clip that affected me so much as a child. I found it, watched it last night....and laughed my butt off! Watching it now, it's so ridiculous that it's hilarious! Here is the clip. I'd still keep your kids from watching it, but at least you can get a good laugh out of it! Oh, and the clip is about 5 minutes long, but you have to watch the WHOLE thing!

17 comments:

caitlin said...

Wow! That kind of reminded me of Labyrinth (one of my childhood faves) Was that Drew Barrymore? It kind of looked like the troll and the girl were going to have a kissing scene at one point! That was super funny, thanks for sharing.

tai and joe said...

I remember watching that when I was little too. It scared the crap out of me. That is to funny.

Joe has to work, and has school. He said that he can help you after if you want. And if you need my assistance I can totally help you.

Sarah Marie said...

Oh man, that sounds UBER scary! I'm scared to watch that clip! ha. I like the idea of the cat saving the kid-- good kitties! I love that you slept with the blanket over your mouth! Too funny!!! And yeah, I totally get what you mean about having to get comfy. John falls asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow too! WEIRDO! ha.

Summer said...

Good thing I didn't watch that movie when I was a kid, because when I would get scared I would cover my whole body and leave a little hole for my mouth. If I had watched that I would have had to cover my whole body without a breathing hole!! I am like Andrew I can fall asleep within 30 seconds, but it takes my hubbie forever to fall asleep. I can't imagine what that would be like!!

The Little Hiatt Family said...

LOL!!! dude! that is sort of creepy.... LOL! Oh SHann... how funny!! But I can see how that is scary for a little girl.

BECKY said...

That troll is freaking ugly!! I was picturing a cute little fluffy-haired thing like we used to play with back in the day!

Brienne said...

I was scared of the SAME MOVIE! I think it seriously scarred me for life. I found a copy of it a year or so ago and it wasn't nearly as scary...but still! I actually made John watch it with me just the other day, lol. :)

Shannon said...

Caitlin, yes that is a little Drew Barrymore! I love when she's yelling, "Make it go faster!" when the troll is on the record player. LOL!

April said...

The triumphal entry music for the cat is perhaps the grandest part about this.

The Badgers said...

WHAT THE! Was the first thing that came into my head the first little part of the clip. I have never seen or heard of that movie. HILARIOUS! That would freak any kid out for sure. To be honest I was a little freaked out watching it.

lifeinredshoes said...

Brie had this on the day! The wig that Drew Barrymore wore was grounds for a lawsuit!PS, Brie hated cats after that!

shell said...

LOL! oh my gosh that was really funny! Its funny the things that seem so real when we were kids. For a couple of years I couldn't go to the bathroom with out my sister holding my hand because of a horror movie where a hand came up the toilet and grabbed this person's butt and sucked them down.

cathycan said...

Shan, if you had to choose, which would you say was scarier...
the movie or my creepy dolls that I so lovingly decorated your room with?? hehe

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

Hahahaha! Your posts are always so entertaining and fun to read. I LOVED all the pics from your vaca. You are such a talented photographer. And, since I'm commenting and I haven't commented in a while (SORRY....) I Love adirondack chairs too. I hope to have a few of them in my future yard. Also - good luck with moving! Where are you moving to? You've probably said where, but be sure to post pics and info when you get all settled in! I HATE moving. I agree -- it's AMAZING how much stuff you can accumulate in 1 yr. Every time we moved (which has been a lot in the 3 yrs we've been married), our possessions seemed to have reproduced themselves and we had 2-3x a much stuff as we'd moved there with. Anyways... Sorry to write a novel! I hope you are well! I miss ya!

Katie said...

Shan that same movie haunted my dreams for years! I never knew what it was called but WHAT WERE MY PARENTS THINKING??? My parents had me watch several shows so that I wouldn't be scared of things. Now I'm afraid of spiders, sharks, clowns, trolls, and heights. Thanks, Mom and Dad!

Wish we could help you Saturday, but Kurt works.. good luck moving!

lifeinredshoes said...

Look how amny comments you have!!!!

Barry said...

Oh hell, that movie used to creep me out. Your dolls were scary, too! Curse them!