Tuesday, April 15, 2008

{nutritious and delicious}

Yesterday was warm, and today it snowed. The weather in Utah has been nuts! So when I got home from work, I thought some scrumptious, hot soup sounded fitting for a day like this! I love tomato soup, so I thought I'd try this recipe from The Best of Cooking Light cook book. The results were delicious and also nutritious! I thought I'd share the love with all of you and post the recipe!
Tomato-Basil Soup
4 cups chopped seeded peeled tomato
4 cups low-sodium tomato juice
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
1 cup 1% low fat milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/2 cup (4 oz) 1/3 less-fat cream cheese, softened
Basil leaves, thinly sliced (optional)
8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut French bread baguette
1. Bring tomato and juice to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes.
2. Place tomato mixture and 1/3 cup basil in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Return pureed mixture to pan; stir in milk, salt, and pepper. Add the cream cheese, stirring well with a whisk, and cook over medium heat until thick (about 5 minutes). Ladle soup into each of 8 bowls, garnish with sliced basil, if desired. Serve with bread. Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup soup and 1 bread slice)
NOTE: Refrigerate remaining soup in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
CALORIES 133; FAT 4.4g; PROTEIN 5.4g; CARB 18.7g; FIBER 1.9g; CHOL 12mg; IRON 1.5mg; SODIUM 310mg; CALC 77mg

5 comments:

Barry said...

That sounds REALLY good! Thanks so much, Shan, for taking me out to lunch today! It was a great birthday!

Scott and Lindsey said...

I love yomato soup. I will have to give this one a try. It looks fabulous. I guess if I'm trying to be healthy it wouldn't be good to mix it with grilled cheese?

Scott and Lindsey said...

Oops, I meant, of course, tomato. Somday i rite good.

shan & andrew said...

Lol...Lindsey you're so funnny! I think you could do the grilled cheese- if you use whole wheat bread! But I do prefer my g.c. with white bread. *sigh*

The Little Hiatt Family said...

This sounds sooo GOOD!