Wednesday, April 9, 2008

{nervous nelly}

So, today Andrew and I went to look at a condo in Salt Lake- it's in a great area, the whole complex has been completely remodeled (inside and out), has knotty alder cabinets & granite counter tops, and the price is pretty good for the area. So why do I still feel nervous every time we start looking at homes? We're not looking outside of our means, but seriously...buying a home is a pretty big deal. The fact that I suffer from buyers remorse probably doesn't help either. Just the other day I was at Walgreen's and saw some nail polish that was 50% off. I did need a new shade, and I never buy nail polish, so I went ahead and bought it (after walking around the store for about 1/2 hour with it in my hand, contemplating the purchase). Then I got home and started questioning myself. Did I really need that pink nail polish? I still have some old nail polish left, even if I do have to tilt the bottle to get it out, and it's a little thick. Augh...I should have saved that $2. Yes, I know, I'm ill. Anyone you ask who knows me well will tell you I am the most frugal person they know. I say frugal, because it sounds less harsh than cheap. Cheap is what you call a guys who takes you on a first date, and then since he paid for the $15 meal to Cafe Rio, he expects you to buy the $6 ice cream dessert, because I mean, that's the "fair" thing to do. *rolling eyes* (that's a story for another time...) So, back to the BP (big purchase). Did you freak out when you bought your home? We're paying a shiz load right now in rent, so really, what's another $150-$200 a month? (This is where you ease my mind with your riveting comments.)
On a lighter note, I had so much fun with Andrew this afternoon! He got off work early, so we went to lunch at Sweet Tomatoes (my fav soup/salad place)! On the way home, there was a baby your baby commercial on the radio. Andrew tenderly reached across the center console of the car, grabbed my hand, and asked, "Honey, when do you think we'll know when its time for us to have a baby?" I of course said the first thing that came to my mind, "Well sweetie, probably when I don't have my period." I laughed because I thought it was pretty clever, and he chuckled a little while shaking his head and then mumbled something that sounded a lot like "smart @#$" but I'm sure he was saying "I'm so blessed to have such a funny, witty wife." Then I felt bad because he was being sensitive and sweet, so I said, "Honey, I don't know...probably when we're both...ready?" Great answer, eh? I'm a good wife.

16 comments:

Scott and Lindsey said...

Buying our house was the scariest thing we ever did, but we were tired of paying rent! It is always scary, but if you can afford it, it is obviously a better investment than renting. Of course, if you are like us and buy an old home, you will spend all your extra money on fixing the furnace, and water heater and plumbing!
PS I LOVE Sweet Tomatoes. We go at least monthly. March was the best month so far!

Brittney Andy and Boston said...

It was harder for me to sign the papers for my house than the marriage license. I actually hesitated. But after the 500th intial here, it gets easier.
And FYI, you're never ready.

shell said...

okay I'm really excited to hear about cafe rio... you should do a "worst date entry challenge" when you are ready to post that.

brittney andy and boston are right You are NEVER ready

but look and look and really look... because if you don't you'll have buyers remorse

bridgette said...

My unsolicited advice, BUY!!! New cabinets and granite, beats the hell outta our first place-and second!

Vail blog said...

I am in totally agree with Shellie. The only thing about kids is they are a little addicting. We thought we would have two then three then just one more. Now I am having my fifth next month and am so excited. Kids give life an entire new meaning....TOTALLY WORTH IT! I say go for both, but really look around and make sure you find something you love that also has a good resale value (just in case you don't love your neighbors as much as your new house!)
Good Luck!

ps I would LOVE the worst date challenge, I think I have a good chance of winning!:) I am still looking for the embarassing journal I know I have around here somewhere.

Vail blog said...

ps... I thought your come back about when you were going to have a baby was very witty indeed!

The Badgers said...

How exciting, scary, frustrating, expensive, but well worth it all! Mike and I walked into 30 or more houses with our Realtor, Kathleen was the key to finding our home. She is a great first time home buyer Realtor,she did all the work and knows what she is doing, she never got frustrated with us, and stuck it out until we found the perfect home. Shelley also used her with both of their homes. Let me know if you want her contact info.

Lisa Kendrick said...

I was freaked out to buy a house, but as I already admitted in a recent post, I'm a commitment-phobe.

And on the baby thing, take your time because once you're a mom, you're a mom for ETERNITY! But I hear they're pretty great to have around. I'll let you know in a few months if that's true or not! =)

Sue said...

This is a fantastic time to buy. I have an idea - buy MY house (hee hee).

Seriously, this is a really great time to be a homebuyer. Hope you find one you love.

Kat said...

Why do I love you so much? I had no idea that you were that frugal. My hubbie is a tight A, and I'm becoming quite the bargain shopper myself. I can't believe you walked around Walgreen for 30 minutes with that polish in your hand!!

Ok- I know what you mean about the house. Total sticker shock, and it feels like you are signing your life away- and possibly your first born. Go with it, really. Rent is such a waste, yet it's nice cause you don't have to DO anything to your apartment. Houses are a lot of work, but it's nice to have your own place. Might as well do it if you can, and the price is right!

I about cried when you wrote about Andrew asking you about babies! ha. Poor guy. In my opinion... you will KNOW and feel when you're ready. Trust me... if you aren't super interested now, there will come a day where you will be (providing you want kids)
I'm past ready... that happened for me around 18-24 months, but then got put off so I could finish school. we'll see when it happens.

FoodFashionFetish said...

i definitely know what you mean. my husband and i are looking to buy a condo right now but we just can't seem to agree on a budget. i think that the best solution here is to look at all your options and pick the one that suits you. i'm sure that once you've moved in, the buyer's remorse will disappear but it's very natural to have at first.

Summer said...

Definitely buy if you can afford it. I was so freaked out when we bought our house, but it is completely worth it. So go for it!

Katy said...

when I think about having to pay bills and balance my checkbook and pay rent and do all those grown up things I freak myself out. I tend to not think about it... I just told Matt last night that I should probably start putting money in my savings account so that I can actually LIVE when I graduate in a couple years. LOL!

caitlin said...

A house in SLC huh? Does this mean I get to have you close by again, so we can spot each other in our cars and we can wave frantically at each other? I hope so! I spotted your blog on Jessica's and thought I would say hey to lil miss Shan.

BECKY said...

I have no advice. I feel the same way about buying things... YIKES!

But I do have to say that I LOVE the classic, old-time picture you put up!

Alyssa Bateman said...

Hey! This is Bridgette's daughter Alyssa! Thanks for the comment I love getting them, so feel free to put them on. I love your blog. And sweet tomatoes is one of my all time favorites! I got my hamster's santa hat off of some little creepy gummy elf thing, funny huh? But I saw it and knew it would fit her perfect so I couldn't resist a photo shoot. Anyways love your blog and thanks again for the comment I'll look forward to more!:D -Alyssa