Wednesday, April 30, 2008

{my secret}

It's time that I share a dark secret with you all that I've hid for a long, long time...
I've been battling this since I was 16, and although I've tried everything humanly possible to stop it, it's gotten worse over the years. I'll never forget the day I was diagnosed. My friend Andrea was with me, sitting in an adjacent chair, as I waited nervously, not knowing what the outcome of my appointment would be. The woman who was assigned to perform the procedure was uncomfortably chatty, and stood behind me, examining my head while she ran her fingers through my hair. She asked me a few questions, and then began. All of the sudden, she gasped and said, "Oh my! This is very unusual from someone your age!" then leaned in closer to get a better look. I had no idea what she was talking about, until I looked in the mirror. I was mortified. Staring back at me, was a gray hair.


After my hair cut, I ran home, grabbed the tweezers and plucked the impostor, but months later, I saw it again...only this time there were a few more. As the years passed, I couldn't just keep plucking the stray gray hairs that were invading my brunette locks, so I started dying them. When I'd get highlights, I'd have to tell my hairdresser to do an all over color, and then do the highlights to make sure the grey was covered, which wasn't cheap! Now, I'm all one color and I have to dye my hair on a regular basis to keep my grey roots from showing. To be honest, I really don't mind going grey, but for heaven sakes people, I'll be 26 soon- isn't that a little, gee I don't know, young to be going down that path?! I've been researching how to gracefully go grey and I've found some pictures of beautiful women who've done just that...


This is what I want my hair to look like when I'm 45- because at the rate my hair is changing, it is inevitable!
Even Ms. Stacy London has embraced her greys! She has the Rouge thing going on with a streak of gray in her hair! (it's a little hard to tell from this picture though)

8 comments:

caitlin said...

Oh, so I see you are a fellow fan of What Not To Wear. I feel guilty watching it, because they can be so mean sometimes, but I just can't help but tune in. Don't worry about the stray greys, I have always thought your hair was gorgeous, grey or otherwise.

Sarah Marie said...

Shh! Wanna know a secret? I have a couple gray & white hairs too-- I always pluck mine out but since my bangs are platinum blond sometimes I can't tell if it's a piece of blond or white hair! I don't have gray roots though, just the random crazy curly grey hair or straight up in the air white hair-- i wonder if this means I'm gonna get gray roots soon? Man, 24 is a little young too! geez. What's funny is that my 26 year old hubby has a patch of gray hair! OH man, I just thought we were crazy cuz I know stress can turn your hair. I just need to calm down or something. Ha. I don't know if that will work.

cathycan said...

I'm sorry honey! It's my "faulty" gene that did it! I would be completely gray if not for my friend Miss Clairol. The problem with dying is, how do you ever stop? Unless you're going for some punk look, the half gray/half brown thing just isn't a real attractive look. It's so true..."once you go black(or brown or auburn) you never go back!

Ashley said...

I've had a gray patch in the back of my head forever. Seriously, I don't remember it ever not being there. I think we can pull it off :)

Stacy London is one hot mama.

Jess said...

I totally have gray hair too! I blame it on my mom! :)

Megan said...

I am 26 and also greying. I am not dying it yet, but can see that day in my future. It got worse when I got married. Connection? Yes!

Kat said...

I've heard this story before... :) My friend Heather is in the exact same situation- I feel for ya- at 26!

BECKY said...

It seems that we've all got the same thing to say. "I have grey hairs too. It's traumatic. I fear the future."

I HATE finding a completely grey hair sticking out like a sore thumb on my brown head of hair. It's SO not cool. I pluck them too.

Glad to hear everyone is in the same boat... but still... who the heck wants to be going grey at our age!?