Sunday, April 13, 2008

{I fake it}

I have a confession. A few years ago I was a "fake baker", and I would go tanning religiously. I had a pass that allowed me to go as many times as I wanted in either a Ruva or Wolf bed (I still don't know the difference) for only $30 a month! The funny thing is, I hated tanning. Laying down on a hard plastic surface wasn't that comfortable, and then closing the lid on myself was kind of creepy. The buzzing...the lights...it just wasn't that fun or relaxing. So why did I do it you ask? Well, I liked how I looked tan! I felt thinner and felt smokin' hot! (No pun intended) After about 4 or 5 months of this, and after seeing a Dateline special on skin cancer that scared the shiz out of me, I decided to quit. I canceled my tanning pass, and my skin faded back to it's original hue (not super pasty, but definitely not bronzed).
So anyway, I haven't been tanning in a long, long time, and for the past 8 months, Utah has been frigid and cold...I dare say freezing! Yes, when it's summer time, I do enjoy getting my tan on. I can justify laying out because I use SPF 15 and I'm only laying out a couple times a week, but until today, it wasn't really warm enough to lay out. So until I can start laying out again, I've been using this.... Yes, tanning lotion. It's definitely the safe way to tan, and this brand doesn't streak or leave an orange hue. The only downside is the smell, which I don't think is that bad, but Andrew hates it! So what's a girl to do? Does anyone know of a tanning lotion that doesn't have a "smell"? I'm hoping this warm streak we've had this weekend lasts awhile so I can spare my poor husband from the lotion smell, and lay out! But until then, I'm fakin' it!

8 comments:

Vail blog said...

I have heard that fake bake self tanning lotion is fantastic. Through much blog stocking reasearch this looks like a winner, just thought I would pass on my new found info!

scabiosa said...

I used to be the tanning queen as well, and loved every chance I would get to go lay on that plastic bed for 15 minutes. But, I too have resorted to using tanning lotion. The one I use is Dove, Energy Glow. Mike will buy it for me because he likes how it makes me look. As for the smell, no problems. I can't smell but I am pretty sure it is unscented.

Summer said...

I love when my skin is tan. I don't know what it is about being tan, but I feel sexier, more toned, and skinnier even though my body is the exact same when it is not tan. I wonder why that is?

Lisa K said...

I used to be addicted to beds too until a few family members started getting skin cancer.

My fave tanning lotion is by Mary Kay. It's around $10 and smells GREAT! I even got Carrie hooked on it (she was addicted to the Nutragena brand). I put it on 2, maybe 3 times a week, and it keeps a consistent tan on me.

McCall said...

K...I left 2 comments and they don't seem to be posting. I just wanted to say that YES I am coming to girls night and to send me details @ mccall.linares@gmail.com.
And if all of a sudden 3 messages appear from me, I'm sorry.

The Smith Family said...

Hey! Whats up. Ugh, I think that sounds SO great right now. Being TAN. I wore capries today and am SO white. AH. PS: SO NICE OUT TODAY!!! I love it!
Okay, so I tried to "touch of sun tanner from Oil of olay. HATE IT. SO, I might try this instead.
And I REALLY want to come to girls night. Sounds like fun! What are we doing... or where are we going? I have been looking for a post about it... and you haven't left one. Cason got off work for that night, so I can come. Just gimmie the details. Awesome. Thanks girly
Shelley

caitlin said...

Shouldn't give out my secret, but I will :) Victoria Secret does tanning lotion that not only looks completely natural, but you can get it in all of their scents. My fave is Heavenly.

The Little Hiatt Family said...

I wanna go try that now! Thanks! I like being tan also. But my husband wont let me tan.. it is just too dangerous. So I will try that stuff. Maybe if you put a yummy smell good lotion after it is rubbed in, it wont be too bad.