Wednesday, April 9, 2008

{embarrassing journal entry challenge}

Two of my favorite blog buddies have posted blog challenges. Ashley did the embarrassing childhood photo contest, and Emily has a weekly photo challenge (which I've sadly fallen behind on...sorry Em!). So now it's my turn!

A couple of weeks ago, I was rummaging through some boxes and found an old journal. As I flipped through the pages, I was flooded with past memories! Some good, some not so good, but it was nice to reminisce. This particular journal was about 5 years old (from my college days) and talked about guys I thought I loved, friends I adored, and roommates that drove me crazy! Then I started thinking about my first journal that I started 10 years ago, in 8th grade. So, last night I drove to my parents house and rummaged through some more old boxes until I found it. I laughed and even cried as I read old entries. Oh, how dramatic I was as a wee little 15 year old!

This is the inside cover of my journal- I glued just about everything on here- pictures, ticket stubs, and valentines! And yes, that would be my friend Karlie's face surrounded by the sun! We were BFFs in middle school!

Below is my very first journal entry! If you can't read it, here is the gist of it...One night, my mom and I drove to Media Play because if you bought something you got a certain magazine for free. Why did I want that particular magazine so bad you ask? Well my friends, I was a bit obsessed with the band Hanson, and there was an article about them in that magazine. *shudder* Yes, it's true. My name is Shannon and I was a Hanson fan. Moving on...so, I bought the journal, and started writing about boys I was crushing on, friends, etc. But the most embarrassing part about this entry is this:
"...Maybe I should give you (referring to my journal) a name. I think I'll call you Taylor, because I like (I had originally written love) Taylor Hanson! In case you didn't know, I love Hanson. My mom & brothers think I'm crazy! But who cares. I really like their music and their sort of cute..."
*sigh* Yes Shan, little boy bands who look like girls are sooo cute!
So, after reading my very first journal entry and cringing, I decided that I would host a new challenge- Embarrassing Journal Entries!

Here are the rules-
-You must either take a picture of the journal entry or write the entry out in your blog.
-You need to take a picture of your old journal.
-Be sure to put how old you were when you wrote the entry and why you think it's embarrassing.
-Post it on your blog and link my blog. Then leave a comment on this post with a link to your blog!
-Entries must be submitted one week from today (so by April 16).

***The winner will receive a SWEET prize! I'll get into more detail about the prize later this week, so start rummaging around and find that old journal!***

It's time to reminisce baby!

16 comments:

shell said...

yay! I posted some stuff from my journal awhile and felt really self conscious after doing so... so I deleted. but now I'll do it again.. with pic... I want the prize!!! I hope it has something to do with gary coleman!

shell said...

p.s. I love your songs! I washed my dishes and cleaned my kitchen this morning by jamming out to them.

The Badgers said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Seriously. I stared at that picture for so long! I just flip through blogs you know and I was like hey, that looks like me. Wait a second that is me. Oh, I can't wait! To post my journal entry. I have the most perfect one. What a great challenge.

BECKY said...

Umm bop! Doo opp! I do oop.... I dooooooo. Yeah, yeah!

Oh wow. I haven't thought about Hansen for a LONG time.

I might have to take you up on this journal challenge. Sounds like good times!

Lisa Kendrick said...

What would be the coolest is if Joey Raddon finds your blog and learns that his crush on you was in vain because you thought he was short and ugly!

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

Hahahaha. Wow, Shannon. That made me think of those times at Crescent View Middle school when life seemed so complicated! Gavin has said that he HATED having the last name of Hansen (even though it's spelled differently) in Middle School because he was teased a lot for it!
Oh- as for taking part in this journal contest -- I am SO sad -- all my stuff is crammed in our storage unit. I'd never even know where to look. I'll have to remember and post a journal blog in a few months when we are moved into someplace! GREAT CHALLENGE though! (Sorry about the novel I just wrote...) :)

Brittney Andy and Boston said...

Shannon, you were really boy crazy. I thought I was bad. Alas, I don't journal. So no participation on my part. I didn't even take a journal on my mission...I later bought one...that I never finished. Besides, I don't want to remember high school. College was way better. I take that back, life is way better. I cared waaaay to much what people thought or didn't think about me.
But, I love to read yours. YOu are HILARIOUS.

Jess said...

This makes me wish I was a better journal keeper! I really am pathetic. But, if I can find an old journal, I'm definitely participating in this one!

Ashley said...

aah! What an awesome idea! Man, I have to check and see if I have anything.

haha!

McCall said...

yay!!! when i find my camera usb cord I'm totally entering and I'm gonna win! I have one question though...I can't figure out how to put a link on my post with just a name like you do...ya know what I'm talking about???

Katie said...

So, I did it! No laughing at me! At least not to my face. Bwa ha ha.

McCall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
McCall said...

I have entered the challenge. Go check it out!

Sarah Marie said...

Oh man, my friends and I had TONS of journals. Seriously, all we did after school was write pages and pages to each other! I am TOTALLY going to enter this challenge! Good idea!

Sarah Marie said...

p.s. Your journal was so cute with all the stickers and such! Hee-- you liked Hanson! I LOVE that you crossed out "love" Taylor and wrote "like" Taylor. And that you named your journal Taylor!

your wishcake. said...

Hahahaha! Thank you so much for linking to this! You and I seriously would have been BFF's. That entry is probably word-for-word something I wrote at that point in my life! I love it!

I love how you mentioned touching some guys arm and that he didn't move away. Oh, sweet moses, I totally read into EVERYTHING when I was younger - isn't it funny how when you're so young and naive, even an arm touching must be a sign that a guy likes you? Oh, those were the days.

:)

PS: Did you doodle the Hanson logo on everything back then? I did. Like, everything. You have no idea.