Wednesday, April 23, 2008

{downtown farmers market}

I got a lot of comments on my last post about the farmers market- where and when it starts, and such. Here's the information!
Opens on June 14, 2008!!!
When: Saturday's June - October
Time: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
Where: Historic Pioneer Park (300 S & 300 W)
"The Downtown Farmers Market is a local growers’ market, featuring fresh produce from over 70 Utah farmers. In addition to the produce, the Market also offers a variety of fresh baked breads and pastries, cheeses, meat and seafood, jams and honeys, house and garden plants, arranged planters, and numerous handmade arts & crafts. Unique food vendors also are a part of the Market, offering prepared foods and beverages. " - downtown slc.org
Here are a few tips for the newbies out there!
~Arrive early! Parking can be a bit of a doozie, so it's usually easier to find a spot if you get there around 8. Also, when you go early, you get first pick!
~If it's your first time, take your time. Look at everything, listen to the music, and enjoy a yummy pastry!
~BYOB (bring your own bag)- it's the chic thing to do & it's environmentally friendly.
~Eat breakfast there! My favorite is Rio's Mexican breakfast burrito! Oh, and make sure you stop and get an Italian Soda from a local coffee vendor!
So there you have it! If you've been, share your favorite vendors with us!
Oh, and I'd love to get a group together and go one Saturday!

15 comments:

Vail blog said...

okay now I am hungry and craving the experience. I will have to come down on a Sat. just to go to this. Sadly farmers markets excite me as much as amusement parks and this one sounds GREAT!

Jess said...

Yay! I love the farmer's market! It makes me happy! I'm glad it is almost time.

meghann said...

I love the farmer's markets, I didn't know they were every saturday! I would go whenever I would see one and I would always be late and miss them. I would usually go to the one's up in park city. I love summer!

lifeinredshoes said...

Looking foward to the market is the one thing that gets Brie and I through the loooong winter! We are in count down mode. We like to go across the street to Carluccis bakery for breakfast. Oh, and don't miss Caputos Deli. Sometimes we like to meander to the "Outcast" booths on the south side of the park. There is a lady that makes darling crocheted baby shoes and hats in hip colors.

Megan said...

You actually made me miss my old job, something very, very hard to do. The college I worked for ran a farmer's market. During the summers I was actually paid to go walk around the market one day a week. I am going to have to find out where the local market is when I move.

Scott and Lindsey said...

I LOVE the farmers market. Love, love, love it. My favorite is the real Belgium waffles from the real Belgium guy from Bruge. If you want to be especially decadent, add the chocolate and whip cream. The strawberry limeades from the Spotted Dog are a must as well.
I try to go every Saturday that I'm not shooting a wedding. Hopefully I'll see you there!

shell said...

lindsay I am now craving those belgium waffles. that sounds like heaven. I'm definatly hitting this up when I come into town.

Lisa K said...

I left a comment on here earlier today and it never showed up! Rude!

Anyhoo, I had said that my faves are bread from Volkers, goats milk soap, and the variety of salsas you can buy. Jill and I go once a month, so we should meet up sometime!

Also, your advice on the parking is spot on.

Lisa K said...

Oh, I had also said in my earlier comment that vanished that my dream is to have a booth at the farmer's market.

shan & andrew said...

I love Volkers bread! And Lindsey, I ditto your comment about the limeaids! Oh so good! Oooh, and if you like Figs, August is the best month to get them! I'll plan a Saturday and we'll meet up! :)

cathycan said...

Oooh, Farmer's Market, how do I love thee?
1. Volker's bread. Bring it home and immediately put a slice in the toaster!!
2. Fruit tart from the place on the north end.
3. Feeling, just for a moment,like you're not in Salt Lake!
4.Dog Show
5. Jewelry booths
6. Amateur musicians.
I rarely buy any real "produce" and I ,too, look forward to it all year!

shell said...

you know what's weird lisa is that I remember that comment. so I think Shan deleted it. how rude.

shell said...

oh lisa your comment was in her last post about shan's favorite things. :)

Lisa K said...

Well, there's the proof that this pregnancy has made me dumber!! =)

Katie said...

Shan you have to take me and show me the ropes! Kurt works Saturday mornings so I'm free anytime! I just need notice so I can get a babysitter!