Wednesday, March 5, 2008

{Upholstery update}

Sorry it's taken me so long to post an update on my upholstery class! Things are going VERY well! I'm enjoying this class so much, and I finally remembered to bring my camera tonight! Here's what's been going on...I finished putting the seat on a few weeks ago, and I've been working on sewing the inside back of the chair! All I can say is that if you ever decide to upholster something, do not do a barrel back chair! They are so hard! A wingback or anything that doesn't curve is definitely easier! Since this project involved a lot more sewing, I brought my sewing machine because I am more familiar with it, and I have a lot more control! The industrial sewing machines they have on site look like something out of an antique store! They rattle and are almost impossible to control- not to mention the roar the produce! It seriously sounds like a motorcycle when those ol' babies get running! Well, last week as I was sewing, my sewing machine decided to stop working. I took it to get fixed yesterday, and of course it started working when the repair man looked at it, which made me feel like an idiot, and he sent me on my way. When I started sewing tonight, it stopped working again. Augh! So after battling with it for awhile, I decided to be brave and use the freaky industrial machine. I ended up taming the beast long enough to finish sewing the inside and voila! I am almost finished! Oh, I also decided on a neutral fabric (as you can see). It's still pretty funky and it'll look even better once I spice it up with some funky pillows!The white lines on the chair are chalk- don't worry, it comes out!A close up of the fabric

11 comments:

FoodFashionFetish said...

that looks like such a fun project. i hope to some day get involved in projects like that too.

we seem to have a lot in common based on your last comment. i too am 25 and in a sales job i hate to pay for my husbands education. cannot wait for him to graduate!! i know some day we'll both find that career that is just what we hoped for.

and by the way, thanks for the words of encouragement about the move.

JJ, Mands, and Lil said...

Oh my gosh! I love it! You are inspiring me to finish a chair that I have. I hate the slip cover on top of mine and just haven't been brave enough to do it! Your chair is going to look amazing! It already does!

Claire said...

I love it!! Where did you find a place that offers upholstery classes? I would love to take a class like that, but I've never heard of them being offered...

Summer said...

I just have to say that you are very talented. I would love to learn how to do that.

The Badgers said...

Now pillows are something I can relate to. I love pillows. There are some funky colors out there to spice anyplace up. Love the chair. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Ashley said...

Oh I've been waiting for this update!!!! I'm so jealous, I want to take a class like that. Looking good!

Barry said...

Shan, I tell you what. I'll gladly design web related stuff for you as long as you make me some furniture here and there. :)

BECKY said...

Oh how fun! How stinking cool is it that you will have all of these pieces in your house that YOU did!? I'm jealous.

I love the close-up of the fabric. I can't wait to see a picture of it displayed in your house!

Sarah Marie said...

This is WAY cool!
I think the chair will look great with some funky pillows- and I like how the fabric is interesting but not too out there so it will match with a lot of stuff!

Great job so far!!!

Katy said...

I am jealous!!! That is so awesome! I wish I had the time to do a class like that! LOL! But I have too many school classes to have time for that!!! So I know I have never commented on your page but I am constantly checking and reading your blog!

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

It's looking so good! I am jealous -- I want to learn to upholster something.... It was SO fun to see you the other day! You look so good!