Thursday, February 7, 2008

{vintage magnets}

I stopped by Trolley Square tonight on my way home from work, and went into one of my favorite stores, Tabula Rasa. It's a stationary/gift store where you can find beautiful, expensive, inks, paper, leather bound journals, wrapping paper, seasonal knickknacks, and custom announcements & invitations. As I was browsing around, I noticed some vintage looking magnets. They had a few random letters, as well as illustrations of fleur de lis, etc. I've been looking for some cool, funky magnets and was about to purchase them when I looked at the price. They were VERY expensive! Yes, they were packaged in a quaint, lovely tin, but I couldn't justify it. So I did what any designer gal would do...I decided to make my own! And since I'm in a crafty mood, I'm going to show you how to do it too!

~First, I purchased a 6 pack of 1" magnets from my local craft store. I traced the circle on the striped side of an index card (but you can use any color you'd like).
~Next, I cut out the circle and glued it onto the maget (blank, white side facing up). After it was glued to the magnet, I trimmed the edges so it fit just right.
~I bought some cool, funky vintage rub-on letters from the craft store as well. I lost the popcicle stick it came with to rub the letters on, so I used a penny.
~I also bought these 1" bubble stickers (some call them puffy clear stickers) at the craft store and placed them carefully on top of the magnet. ~And this is the final result! I was going to spell "LOVE" but realized I didn't have any o's left, so I spelled "LUV"! Have fun making your own!

8 comments:

Aubrey said...

You are so stinkin cute and crafty. I wish I had the motivation to do stuff like that with my free time. Instead, what do I do? I come home from work, plop down on the couch....sofa...excuse me. :) And I watch Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune baby! I know, I'm like 80 years old, but whatever.

The Badgers said...

Is that just a magnetic frame? I would love something cute and simple like that in my house! Great! Thanks for the demo :)

The Badgers said...

Oh and love the music!

BECKY said...

Love it. You are brilliant.

The Fooze said...

Great idea! I love stuff you can do yourself for much cheaper than it would otherwise cost! I probably won't make the magnets... they're a little to cutesey-girley, but I really like the concept! :)

Ashley Forrette said...

Man, you are good! What a great idea! I agree with the badgers, I always leave your page open when I look at other blogs too so I can listen to your music :)

Gavin, Laura, and Sydney said...

OK Shan. Now you're starting to make me sick! No, just kidding. But, you are so amazing! Thanks for sharing your ingenious ideas!!!

JJ, Mands, and Lil said...

YOu are like the Martha Stewart blog lady. I am totally going to make these Ohhh so cute magnets right after my 100 other projects. Such a cute idea! You have such the eye for things!