Tuesday, January 22, 2008

New Project

After the train wreck that was my last upholstery class, I decided to take another shot at it. I've taken the class twice before through Jordan School District Community Education and loved it! I reupholstered the wing back chairs in my mom's living room and they turned out fantastic! I won't mention who I took upholstery from this last time, but I will say it was terrible! The guy who taught the class was a creepy, lazy, arrogant man who listened to U2 ALL the time and claimed to have once been U2's body guard while at the same time he owned his own gym, toured with Dave Matthews Band, and supported his rocket scientist wife. Now he works at Home Depot at night and teaches upholstery. I shudder and have flashbacks every time I hear "Where the Streets Have No Name". So to make a long story short, I quickly tried to finish my chair with little help or guidance and it didn't turn out very well.

Last week I stood in line to sign up for for yet another upholstery class through JSDCE and I'm so excited! I found a really funky barrel back chair at D.I. for $15, but I can't decide what to cover it with. I looked at Calico Corners website and found these fabrics that I really like. The chair will be a side chair in my living room, and as you can tell, I'm really into funky animal prints and geometric prints! I'm leaning towards the one in the top center, because it's a little more neutral....what do you think??

9 comments:

The Smith Family said...

I LOVE that you do this for fun! I need a couple of cool chairs in MY house. Okay, If I was gonna do a fabric I would TOTALLY go with the bottom left. But thats just me?! I love fabric like that! I love them ALL though, and the one you like the most IS the most neutral, and would go great ANYWHERE!

Ashley Forrette said...

You are so cool. I want to take a class like that. I love the one you like, but I also really like the top left. Good luck! Post photos!

Brittney Andy and Boston said...

why would you go with neutral? Kinda think you would be dissapointed. I like the two left ones and the top right. Really helps narrow it down don't you think?

Lisa Kendrick said...

Do you have to know how to sew to do upholstery? I want to learn but I can't sew. So maybe I should learn that first. =)

The Badgers said...

My eye caught the top middle, but I know myself too well and would end up going with the top right, I love brown and I love the design.

Aubrey said...

I would have to say its between 3 for me: top middle, and bottom 2 on the right. :) Good luck!!! Can't wait to see how it all looks on the chair.

And if you decide to do something more neutral, you can always throw a pillow on it with a super funky print!

JJ, Mands, and Lil said...

Okay, so I haven't checked your blog in awhile and I want to get my opinion about your cute chair and the fabric. I love the bottom left black/white print. I am totally agreeing with the smith family on this. It is totally my taste though and you already are a Funky-Vavoom type of chick and if the more neutral goes for you than Rock it. I just sewed some curtains that kind of look like the bottom left print. I can't wait to see the final touch. I need pointers on how to re-do a chair I have.

Shan&Andrew said...

You guys ROCK! Thanks for all the comments! I'm choosing the fabric tomorrow (Friday) so I'll post pictures SOON!

Also, Lisa don't have to be great at sewing. Basically all you need to be able to do is work a staple gun (manual or air) and as far as sewing, you just need to know how to guide fabric in a straight line and push a petal with your foot. Easy as pie! :)

Lots of you have asked "how to" questions. I don't consider myself a pro, but if you have questions, I'd be more than happy to help you with them! I'm considering posting a step by step on how to upholster a basic chair and ottoman...maybe even a wingback! If anyone is interested let me know!

BECKY said...

I love the top right one! I'm excited to see which one you choose! Dude, I want to reupholster something now!