Thursday, October 25, 2007

Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be...

I've been in Austin, Texas this week for work, and I'm finally flying home tomorrow! As much as I've enjoyed spending my time in meetings (rolls eyes), I'm so ready to go home. The entire time I've been here, I have thought of Andrew and since I am a newly wed, I have retold the story of how we met a million times! So, for everyone who's interested, here is how it all happened....
Last June I was forced to attend a multi-singles ward BBQ. Now, when I say forced, I really didn't want to go, but my wise mom thought it would be a fun time. I tried explaining that most of the single guys in our ward were what most would call the "freaks and geeks" crowd, but I went anyway, taking my friend Kaylene along for the ride! When we arrived, the first guy I saw was Andrew and I thought, "Whoa baby!" What was supposed to be a quick drop in, ended up being a 2 hour event! It wasn't until the end of the night, after much eye contact, that I approached him and said, "So...what ward are you in?" (great pick up line eh?) After talking with him and his friends for awhile, I learned that we went to the same high school. I figured that he was older, since he didn't look familiar, so when I asked what year he graduated, and found out he was my little brother's age (2 years younger than me), I lost all interest. Disappointed, I hesitantly gave him my number when he asked for it, and we left. When I got home that night, my mom asked if I met anyone, and I told her the only cute guy there was younger than me. She said, "Oh Shan! Don't let that bother you!"

Well, Andrew didn't call me...he text me that night asking if I wanted to hang out. I told him I had to clean my car. For the next 2 weeks, he persistently sent me texts, asking if I wanted to hang out, and I persistently turned him down. Finally on the 4th of July, he sent me a text, and because I was sick of texting and boys asking to "hang out" I called him and told him just that. I believe my exact words were, "Hey. I'm not a big texter, and if you want to get to know me, ask me on a date!" I really thought this would scare him off, but he quickly said, "Sounds great! How about Thursday?"

So, to make a long story short, we went out that Thursday, had a ton in common, sparks flew and I've been with him every day since! We got married July 27 of this year, and life has never been better! So thank you Mom, for making me go to the BBQ, and thank you Andrew for being persistent!

4 comments:

Gavin & Laura Hansen said...

I love your story Shan! Moms are great! They always seem to know best! :) Good thing that Andrew was persistant!

The Badgers said...

Oh, that is so fun to hear about! Thanks for sharing. It is interesting how things fall into place. The Crawfords were in our stake growing up. My parents new their parents. And Mandi knew Andrew. Even more weird to think you went to the same High School and you grew up what... a mile away from each other. Crazy.
PS. you look so good Shan what is your secret?

Kat said...

Haha! That's my girl! Seriously.. boys that text nonstop and expect REAL girls such as yourself to respond? Way to go in callin him up and telling him how to do it :)

Kat said...

Beautiful lady! You look amazing!! Glad you are home now. No fun to be away. Where are you workin anyway?